Hub replaced by Road

The era of live music on Main Street in Cedar Falls has come to an end. Because the music-friendly bar, The Hub, closed May 19 of this year; local musicians can no longer perform on the popular strip of town. The Hub was notorious for their local live musical entertainment for several years and many were sad to see it over. 

Chris Walton, sophomore study of religion major and frequent performer at the Hub said he thinks The Hub closing was unfortunate for Cedar Fall as it brought musicians from all different walks of life and skill level under one roof. 

“The Hub was pretty much the perfect segue from singing in the shower to getting paid to play music that I love,” Walton said. “But I’m grateful for my time at The Hub.”

Walton said there are other opportunities in Cedar Falls for local musicians to perform live music. These can be found on College Hill such as Gingers, The Library, Octopus and Sharkeys.

While listening to live music on Main Street may no longer be an option, enjoying a night out while choosing from 127 different kinds of whiskey to drink is. A new establishment has taken the place of the former Hub. Whiskey Road Tavern and Grill has replaced the space and is now open to the public.

Kyle Dehmlow, owner and support staff of Whisky Road, said former owner of the Hub had asked Dehmlow if he wanted to take possession of the building: not necessarily the Hub itself, but the space. From that point, there was question of what to do with the wide-open large space.

Looking at the size and the downtown location, they decided it would make sense to have both a restaurant and a bar.

“Having a restaurant, we’re able to cater to a wider crowd, get more hours of operation, with lunch and dinner, and it makes more sense in capturing more sales other than just late-night weekends,” Dehmlow said.

Whiskey Road is open seven days a week with lunch starting at 11 a.m. and dinner until 10 p.m. Monday-Thursday. On Friday and Saturday, dinner is served until 11 p.m., and switches to a late night menu from 11-1 a.m. It is a 21 and older bar after 10 p.m. They are also now hiring.

With Whiskey Road open every day for lunch, supper and as a bar, there doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of worry for getting business. 

“I don’t know if there will be any competition, I think we’re bringing something different to the table; we just wanted to bring something that wasn’t already on Main Street,” said Ryan Drewes, general manager.

As Whiskey Road is taking off, the individuals making this establishment happen are working and wishing for it to be a successful place.

Consistently great food and great service to all customers is Drewes main goal. Dehmlow’s goal for Whiskey Road includes customer viewing his establishment and a great place for meals so they will come back for the late night activities. 

Some students even had the opportunity to check out the new atmosphere.

“Whiskey Road has a cool feel, plays country music and is a really good restaurant too; it adds a different atmosphere, more laid back,” said Zack Lundgren, senior criminology major.