Finals take the stage in Lang

An advanced interpersonal communication course at the University of Northern Iowan will be hosting a performance as their final called “Inter’ception.” 

Led by Communication Studies instructor Nikki Harken-Zumbach, the Inter’ception performance has been completely prepared by members of the advanced interpersonal course, said Madison Twedt, senior communication major and one of the publicity cordinators of Inter’ception. 

“Inter’ception takes place at two of our characters’ . . . wedding reception. During the performance you will see many different relationships, interactions, secrets and conflicts between characters unfold,” said Twedt.

Harken-Zumbach created the idea to host an interpersonal performance incorporating theories from the advanced interpersonal textbook.

The inspiration came from a show on Netflix, “Mixology,” where twenty strangers meet at a bar and the single-season show goes through all their interactions, conflicts and relationships, said Twedt.

Throughout the course of fall semester, the class collectively developed characters, created a script and appointed parts such as actors, stage directors and managers, publicity costume, hair and make-up and set crew.

The class worked individually as well as in teams to create characters, a setting and a script. The work will be developed into a full production that they will perform in front of an audience Thursday, Dec. 18 at noon in Lang Hall’s Interpreter’s Theater.

Gina Owens, junior communication major, said most class projects don’t involve a play but she enjoys the realistic experience.

“It’s a lot easier to remember,” Owens said. “Looking back at the class now I can remember the theories because we talked about them so much, using them in real situations, compared to trying to memorize them off of a piece of paper.”

Among the 13 actors includes Adam Winter, senior communication major. He said the time spent in this particular class has been different than other Communication courses he has taken.

Winter’s character, the step-father of the groom, has a secret he debates sharing throughout the production. Winter said he connects with his character, due to a shared interest in sports.

“His secret kind of takes away from it, but it’s kind of interesting to have conflicting aspects of his life,” Winter said.

The performance is free and open to the public.

Because of the in-depth grasp on advanced interpersonal theories, Harken-Zubach decided to help four students compose a proposal to submit to the National Council on Undergrad Research.

If selected by the council, the four students who collaborated on the proposal will fly to Spokane,WA., in April to present the project. Harken-Zumbach will find out Jan. 14, 2015 if this proposal is selected.

“In this, we actually get to work together as a whole unit and put our skills that we haven’t been able to use in college together and make a play about it,” Winter said.