Guest column

Stressed?!

According to the UNI National College Health Assessment, stress is the leading factor that negatively affects UNI students’ academic performance.  Stress is the pressure we feel as our bodies respond to everyday demands. A little stress is good and can be motivating, but too much stress can have a negative effect on your physical and emotional well-being. 

Being a student is stressful. We have deadlines for class, tests to study for, homework to complete, student organization meetings to attend, and on top of all that – attempting to balance in a social life.  We often get so busy we just accept being stressed and forget that we can do things (even little things) to manage it. 

Some techniques for relieving stress can be as simple as thinking of something that makes you happy, makes you laugh, or just puts a smile on your face. It seems like common sense, right? But how often do you stop during your busy life just to think of those things? In fact, laughter not only improves your mood, it also stimulates many organs, activates and relieves your stress response, and soothes tension. How many people do you know that can be upset while laughing? 

Another good way to relieve stress is through exercise and dance. Exercise and other physical activity produces endorphins-chemicals in the brain that act as natural painkillers and can help relieve stress. Often times, as students, we feel like exercising has to be a big commitment.  We have to go to the WRC every day at a certain time, and if we miss a day, we might as well just try to start again next week. However, there are a lot of little things you can do during your day to get some exercise in and relieve stress. The next time you take a study break, get up and walk around the building you are in, take the stairs instead of the elevator, or join a fitness class! 

It is important as college students that we make time for self-care.  This means working hard to make sure we get adequate sleep and that our techniques for dealing with stress are healthy. Stress management techniques help to soften the burden of stress and prevent its harmful side-effects.  Everybody responds to stress differently and everybody’s technique for managing that stress will look differently.  What is really important is that you find a stress reliever that works for you. Mine is dancing to a Taylor Swift song every morning.  Some other techniques to relieve stress are: calling a friend, playing with a pet, deep breathing, yoga, reading a book you enjoy (that is not assigned), getting a massage, listening to music, or finding a quiet place.  If you are overwhelmed by the stress in your life and it is causing you mental or physical side effects, please seek help. We have a number of great resources on-campus, such as the Counseling Center, which is here to help you.  Don’t forget to take time during finals week to participate in De-stress Days! Your future self will thank you! There will be a number of great stress-relieving activities happening in Maucker Union and the Library December 15th – 17th. Some activities include puppies, walking the labyrinth, crafts, and mini massages!  

-Heather Place, Graduate Practicum Student, Student Wellness Services