“Stellar” constellations on Earth

Students had a chance to view the stars from a place a bit less chilly than the outdoors Thursday night. In a planetarium in 105 Latham Hall, students can view the stars each Thursday until spring break.   These shows are put on by Siobahn Morgan, professor of astronomy and department head for earth science.

“It’s important because it’s educational, it’s informative, and it’s free,” Morgan said. 

She said she tells students about what’s going on in the sky as well as what students can look out for and find for themselves such as stars, constellations and planets. 

In fact, Morgan said that there was a comet visible the week before, and there are other things she will mention at later shows. 

Not all of these shows will be in the planetarium. After spring break, they will move outside to the observatory.

“Going outside in January and February just doesn’t really appeal to people,” Morgan said.

Helping Morgan with these shows was Maddie Beeler, junior earth science major. 

“I get to oversee what Dr. Morgan does and I’ve learned something new from her every time she does these shows. When we’re at the observatory I show people the visible objects while Dr. Morgan operates the telescope,” Beeler said.

Anne Rollins, freshman undecided major, attended the event this past Thursday.

“I thought it was really cool that you could incorporate ancient mythology and all that into something that’s so present today,” Rollins said. 

Rollins attended the event with Andy Saigh, freshman marketing major. 

“I thought it was really cool how you could see even future skies…how you could see what was out there right now even though it’s all clouded over,” Saigh said.

For those who want a little extra credit, or simply to see some stars on a cold, cloudy night, the planetarium shows may be something to check out. 

“It’s a nice thing to do on a Thursday night; to learn about what’s always up in the night sky,” Morgan said.