Women at the helm at UNI

They may one day be mayors, representatives, senators or even presidents. And they were right here on the University of Northern Iowa’s campus.

The Northern Iowa Student Government held a training session program, “Elect her- Panther Women Win,” Saturday, Jan. 24 from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

The objective of “Elect Her” is to increase the number of women interested in running for political office, according to UNI student liaisons Rachel Gregory and Kerri Robinson.

This is the first time a school in Iowa has been chosen for this national program as a training site. 

49 participants registered for the event held in the Old Central Ballroom in Maucker Union. The participants represented a range of academic programs, classes and interests. Gregory and Robinson explained most program attendees either participated because they want to get involved in student government or to bolster their general leadership abilities. 

The morning began with a light breakfast followed by introductions with appearances by President Ruud, Iowa State Chapter President Maureen White, “Elect Her” Facilitator Mollie Lam in addition to Gregory and Robinson. 

Lam continued the program by initiating discussions on topics regarding the importance of women running for office and focused on four main exercises titled “campaign strategy,” “elevator speech,” “campaign simulation” and “What’s your issue?” 

The program included speeches by Dr. Dianne Bystrom from Iowa State University, “The Importance of Message” and State Rep. Timi Brown-Powers, “Working Lunch – Making an Impact.”

A video message from Lt. Governor Kim Reynolds and voices of NISG officials Kristen Buldhaupt, Victoria Hurst, Heather Place and Beth Sullivan were also included. 

NISG has made a huge impact on its members, especially the current president of NISG, Kevin Gartman. 

Gartman, a senior business teaching major, expressed how motivated NISG’s members are to serve UNI students. Gartman said being able to promote leadership opportunities and learning experiences helping to educate on matters of diversity, equality or even how food is delivered to your plate is a wonderful experience. 

“But the feeling that you get when a student has a conversation or sends you an email about the motivation or inspiration they get from attending one of these events — the personal connection — that is the reason NISG continues to fund and put on programs like we do.”