Rental passed second reading

Cedar Falls City Council meeting passed the second reading of a rental conversion ordinance, 6-1 at Monday night’s meeting.

This ordinance will affect how current owners and future owners rent to unrelated persons.

In existing registered rentals, current owners can continue to rent to 4 unrelated persons, given the dwelling allows enough space. If the property switches owners, the new owner will have to request an occupancy status through the City.

If the City finds the lot width less than 70 ft, lot area of 8,000 squared ft and a street width of less than 31 ft, the owner can rent to only three unrelated persons. If the lot width is equal to or greater than 70 ft, lot area is equal to or greater than 8,000 squared ft, street width is equal to or greater than 31 ft and there are four off-street parking spaces for the respective tenants, owners can rent to four unrelated persons.

Where a newly registered rental is created, owners can rent to two unrelated persons. The current owner can apply for a Group Rental Permit for three to five unrelated persons, which the City will determine if the dwelling can hold more than two unrelated persons. 

According to a flow chart provided at the Council meeting, the occupancy for the Group Rental Permit is based on the following:

•    impact to character of the neighborhood

•    compliance with the International Property Maintenance Code occupancy level

•    sufficient lot size (width and area)

•    adequate off-street parking (one per bedroom)

•    adequate public infrastructure

•    buffering of parking

•    compliance record for property or others under the same ownership.

A Staff Committee will either approve or deny the request.

Before this ordinance was created, a task force comprised of various members in the community such as landlords, a UNI student representative, homeowners, a Planning and Zoning Commissioner, a realtor and a City Council member was brought together to discuss ongoing rental issues and create a possible solution.

Frank Darrah, 5th Ward council member and chair of the since-disbanded task force, is concerned about any unforeseen impacts of the ordinance. Darrah voted to pass the second reading.

“I believe this ordinance needs to be a work-in-progress and not just pass it,” Darrah said.

City Council opened the discussion to hear from the public, both those who were for and against the ordinance.

Jack Ave, sophomore political science major, spoke out against the ordinance and pointed out the flaws he sees in it.

“They either forgot what it’s like to be someone who rented something or the people who are talking to them or that are representing them [college students] are not college students,” Ave said.

Ave said one of the biggest flaws within the ordinance is that it requires four unrelated persons to have four parking spaces; Ave argued this will hinder students from living in one location because there is not enough parking for one apartment, but there is enough space to house four unrelated persons in one rental.

Ave also said if this ordinance is passed, students living off campus will have to pay more money, money they may not have. 

“I think that’s directly targeting college students,” Ave said. 

Council members said this ordinance is designed to help make neighborhoods in Cedar Falls a cleaner and better area. 

The third and final reading of the ordinance will be held Feb. 16 at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 220 Clay St. The meeting is open to the public and anyone who wishes to speak about the ordinance is encouraged to attend.

If passed, Darrah said after six months of implementation City Council should look at any unforeseen impacts and what areas of the ordinance can be improved upon.

“We need a third party to look at what worked, what didn’t,” Darrah said.