Assault policy changes

The University of Northern Iowa’s policy for reporting sexual assault changed last summer; under the new rules, staff members must report any student account of a specific sexual assault or sexual harassment.

Some UNI staff members believe the policy has changed for the worse. 

Timothy Kidd, associate professor of physics and chair of Faculty Senate said the new policy doesn’t seem to be a federal statute.

“Rather, it seems the university is taking a very conservative approach,” Kidd said. 

According to clerycenter.org the Clery Act is a federal law which states specific requirements for universities to publish information about crimes that occur on and near their campuses. It was amended in 2008 to include further protection for victims and reporters of crime.

Many professors voiced their concern at the last Faculty Senate meeting Jan. 26.

While Leslie Williams, dean of students, said the goal of the policy is to create a safe educational environment, some feel it may have unintended repercussions that could negatively impact a student’s decision to confide in members of staff. 

The policy covers topics from discrimination to harassment, but the disputed change came from the section highlighting the correct procedure employees must follow immediately after learning of a situation affecting students. 

According to UNI Policy 13.02 Discrimination, Harassment, and Sexual Misconduct, “All University employees who are aware of or witness discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, or retaliation are required to promptly report to the Title IX Officer or a Title IX Deputy Coordinator. Any student who is aware of or who witnesses discrimination, harassment, sexual misconduct, or retaliation is encouraged to promptly report to the Title IX Officer or a Title IX Deputy Coordinator.”

According to the policy, under section III, point B “where appropriate, the Title IX Officer or Deputy Coordinators will provide both parties information on options for obtaining advocay, medical and counciling services, and making criminal reports, and will assist with providing information on other resources.”

Deputy Coordinators include Williams, Jean Berger, senior associate althetic director and Gwenne Berry, associate director of compliance and equity management. 

This means any Deputy Coordinator doesn’t have to proceed with legal action, if the student does not want to.

Many professors argue that UNI is taking the wrong approach to a serious issue that affects student well-being. 

“There was a concern raised by some faculty that if they have to report what they hear, it could negatively affect a student’s decision to speak,” said Harry Brod, professor of sociology, anthropology and criminology about the issue.

But that’s not the only word on the matter. According to  Williams, reactions to the policy are split. 

Williams said that some faculty members believe that making all employees accountable as mandatory reporters restricts classroom independence. Additionally, they want to be able to give students full confidentiality.

“Some others are afraid that students will not tell them things they have told them before and will change the dynamic in the classroom.  Others were supportive of the idea as most faculty are not trained to handle such situations,” said Williams.

She also assures that students confiding in an employee on campus can expect help in the form of possible solutions to the situation, and that students will not be forced into an option.

At a Feb. 4 Northern Iowan Student Government meeting, members clarified that students who have been sexually assaulted can choose how to proceed with their situation.

Resources for students are available online, as displayed at uni.edu/safety, including counseling, health resources and access to UNI police. 

The policy, after being met with strong arguments on both sides, is now up for review again at the next Faculty Senate meeting. Faculty Senate meetings are held every second and fourth Monday.

An electronic copy of this policy can be found at uni.edu/policies/1302.