French department offers dual degree program

After three years without a French major option, University of Northern Iowa students can enter a brand new program in the department of languages and literatures to obtain a French degree.

The French Dual Degree Program allows students who choose the independent studies major to study their first two years of French at UNI, said Flavia Vernescu, associate professor in the department of languages and literatures. Students will then travel to a college in France, the Universitaire de Franche-Comte at Besançon, to complete the last two years of their degree. 

Conversely, French students at the partner university can attend UNI for the last two years of their English degree, according to Vernescu.

“Both UNI students and French students will benefit greatly from this program: they will be immersed in another culture for two years and will have an ample opportunity to perfect their language skills. Thus, there will be both a cultural and a linguistic benefit,” Vernescu said.

The program is considered one of the most unique programs in the United States, said Julie Husband, professor and head of the department of languages and literatures. 

Husband said that the program helps these students to pursue excellence, and it provides a great opportunity to understand French culture. 

Additionally, Husband said both French and American students participating in the program will receive two degrees — one from UNI and one from the Universitaire de Franche- Comte at Besançon. 

The French Dual Degree Program will kick off soon. 

The program will begin in the fall of 2015. UNI students will be able to travel in approximately one year, Husband said.

The department of languages and literatures seeks to help the students achieve excellence in their academic experience. They accept the students who are not fluent in speaking French.

UNI International students could also apply for the program, Husband said, although the requirements will be slightly different, since they would need to get a visa. 

“In the past, we had a few international students majoring in French, in addition to our local students. This program may be of interest to them as well, given they would pay the same tuition they pay at UNI for the duration of their stay in France,” Venescu said.

According to Husband, UNI students would be able to attend the French university while stillw paying UNI tuition. 

According to archived minutes from the Board of Regents, UNI terminated the French and French teaching Bachelor of Arts degrees in the Spring of 2012. German, German teaching and Russian were the other world languages cut.