Hashtag for health

The calendar has only been turned to the second page, but some may have already given up on their New Year’s resolutions. However, the UNI Health Science Club continues to promote health and well-being among the UNI community by using social media. 

Last semester, members of the organization dedicated their time to volunteering, specifically for blood drives said Lainie Wilhau, senior women’s health and family services major and co-president of UNI Health Science Club. Members recently decided to take the group in a different direction. 

The UNI Health Science Club have begun their semester-long campaign entitled “Healthy Selfie.” UNI students are encouraged to post photos via social media expressing their own version of what it means to live a healthy lifestyle.  

“We’re not just promoting diet and exercise, but total well-being,” Wilhau said. 

These photographs are to feature the students holding a paper sign that describes how they are healthy, said Wilhau. Each sign should begin with the words, “I am healthy because…” and end with an original statement.

UNI Health Science Club would also like students to focus on their total well-being. This could include topics such as one’s social or sexual health. 

“Be creative, that’s what we’re going for,” Wilhau said. 

Before uploading the photo, students should include #UNIHEALTHYSELFIE in the caption. That way, they can enter a drawing for the chance to win a prize. 

Wilhau stated that the drawings will occur bi-weekly at the start of the project. If a large amount of students choose to participate, the drawings will then occur on a weekly basis. 

Rachel Kuhn, senior women’s health major and the other co-president of UNI Health Science Club, said the overall hope for this project is for the students to learn there are multiple ways to be healthy. She also said that this was a perfect way to inform students that being healthy can be fun.