Shots fired on College Hill, one injury reported

EMMA'LE MAAS

Cedar Falls police responded to a report of shots fired outside Little Bigs on College Hill early Sunday morning, April 4.

NI STAFF, NI Editors

Shots were fired on College Hill early on Sunday morning, April 4, leaving one person injured, although it was later found that his injuries had been accidentally self-inflicted.

According to a UNI Alert issued around 1 a.m., the Cedar Falls Police Department responded to a report of of shots fired outside Little Bigs on College Hill. At that time, two Black male suspects wearing red and black clothing were seen running south on College Hill, and students were asked to avoid the area.

About three hours later, another UNI Alert informed the campus community that police had cleared the scene but the suspects were still at large.

Around 6 a.m., KWWL reported that Cedar Falls Public Safety had discovered one gunshot victim in the 2200 block of College Street. After further investigation, however, police learned that this victim had accidentally shot himself.

The victim was transported to a local hospital and is being treated for his injuries. According to KWWL, his current condition remains unknown. No other injuries have been reported.

KWWL also reported later on Sunday afternoon that Cedar Falls police made two unrelated arrests around the same time as the shots fired call was being investigated.

Antonio Sumerall, 21, was detained after a Cedar Falls police officer noticed him concealing a handgun in his waistband. Officers determined the weapon was stolen from South Carolina, and Summerall admitted to buying the gun off the streets for “his protection.” He faces multiple weapons charges of which at least one is a felony.

Additionally, Misrad Pajazetovic, 25, was arrested for public intoxication after yelling an officer and interference when he purposefully crossed police tape into an active crime scene.

It’s not clear whether the two suspects mentioned in the UNI Alert were among those arrested or treated for injuries.