First of five STEM conferences

The University of Northern Iowa held a STEM conference on Monday, Feb. 23, at the Silfe Ballroom, Commons Building. STEM stands for science, technology, engineering and math.  It was the first of five STEM career conferences offered throughout the spring.

The STEM conference is set up for middle/high school counselors and STEM teachers. One of the opportunities that the STEM career conference provides is listening to the local business professionals about current and future regional STEM careers. 

“The main goal of our STEM career conference is for teachers and counselors to become more aware of STEM careers and to encourage more students to become interested in STEM careers,” said Beth Thompson, STEM coordinator. 

According to Thompson, there were 45 teachers and counselors from Northeast Iowa area schools in attendance at the STEM conference. “We held a mini-fair of 13 exhibitors from STEM fields.  Our business panel was made up of UNI alumni,” Thompson said.

UNI faculty members from various departments such as Computer Science, Physics, Admissions, ROTC and others helped at the STEM conference by hosting a mini-career fair and serving on the panel.

Colby Reinking, admissions counselor at UNI, represented the UNI admissions office during the mini-career fair. “Many of our STEM departments here at UNI were present to provide information about the opportunities in STEM programs here at UNI.  I was there to provide information about how students can be admitted to UNI to study in these areas,” Reinking said.  

Many teachers and counselors seek conferences such as this to help improve their job performance as professionals in the STEM community. 

“STEM offers opportunities for us to increase our preparedness for STEM careers of the future. We hope to have another STEM conference next year,” Thompson said.

“It was great to be able to engage in conversation with educators who are working today with students who may be future UNI students,” Reinking said.