Evans and Beard win run-off

To wrap up NISG elections for 2015-16 president and vice president, run-off election results were announced Wednesday night in the main level of Maucker Union a few minutes after 10 p.m.

Katie Evans and Renae Beard were announced as the next Northern Iowan Student Government President and Vice President after receiving 699 of the 1306 votes from the run-off elections.

Evans and Beard, who increased their votes by 106, will start working with the current president and vice president to learn what it takes to be UNI’s student body president and vice president.

Evans, who is excited about her new role on campus, said there are almost no words to describe how she felt about winning.

“I am excited to work with Kevin [Gartman] and Paul [Andersen] in transition and get the Upper Cabinet to really get our vision going and underway,” Evans said.

The excitement didn’t come without gratitude. Both Evans and Beard expressed gratitude for everyone who helped with their campaign, whether it was people who directly worked on their campaign, or organizations who encouraged their platform.

Voter turn-out for the run-off elections was higher than the first round of elections. A total of 1239 votes were cast in the first round, 606 votes for Jared and Tanner, 593 for Katie and Renae and 40 write-ins. Election Commissioner Nathan Davis said he was increasing voter turnout is always a goal.

“Sometimes it takes giving them all the information they need. Overall, it takes a lot to get these students out there, but both campaigns did it,” Davis said.

The extra week of campaigning was tiring, but it gave them another week to reach out and make even more connections, said Beard.

“If anything, we had more opportunities to further the visibility of the government,” Beard said.

With the increased visibility, Beard said it was also a great opportunity to remind grad students of their voice and importance on UNI’s campus.

As for Evans and Beards’ first steps, Evans hopes to continue working on bringing a Women’s Center to campus, which she said has already begun. 

“After that, just working on things Kevin and Paul left behind and everything like that,” Evans said.

Kevin Gartman, current NISG president, said he and VP Paul Andersen will be working with Evans and Beard to ensure they are ready to go for next year.

As for advice on their new roles, Gartman advises the pair to prepare physically for their new roles.

“It’s been a long campaign . . . so take the chance to sleep when you can get it,” Gartman said.