Con you believe it?

For the second year, Rod Library hosted RodCon, a mini comic convention where crafts, anime, comics and a costume contest were available.

On Saturday, dressing up was optional as students, children, parents and other community members were invited to participate in the day’s festivities and wander through various vendors, artists, and panels.

To add to the festivities, UNI’s sword fighting club was on hand.

Some participants dressed up as famous comic characters such as Batman, Harley Quinn, Black Widow, Joker and others.

Jennifer Kimball, secondary science education major involved with the sword fighting club, said she would definitely come back next year.

“There’s a variety of things to go look at,” Kimball said. “I like the people who dress up because you get to see their interpretation of different characters and what they watch. How they like to put their cosplays together . . . it’s cool.”

For those who haven’t been to a comic convention before, like Kendra Gliem, senior theater major, RodCon was the perfect place to test the waters.

“I’ve never really been to a comic convention . . . I’m just starting to get into comics and stuff so this is really [helpful] for me,” Gliem said. “This is a nice thing to see.” 

Timothy Quan, showcasing comics he created at a booth, said RodCon was a good way to meet people and show them his work.    

Other vendors offered key chains, handmade items such as steam punk jewelry and artists were drawing commission-based artwork on the spot. 

“I really enjoy all the stands where you can buy stuff…my favorite part is the fact that people bring their own art in,” Gliem said. “That’s so cool. Because of course DC, Marvel–that’s so awesome, but people are bringing in their own stuff and it’s neat.”

Timothy Quan used a booth to showcase comics he created. He said RodCon was a good way to meet people and show them his work.    

Other vendors offered key chains, handmade items such as steam punk jewelry and artwork. Some artists drew commission-based artwork on the spot. 

“I really enjoy all the stands where you can buy stuff … my favorite part is the fact that people bring their own art in,” Gliem said, “That’s so cool. Because of course DC, Marvel — that’s so awesome, but people are bringing in their own stuff and it’s neat.”