UNI whiz kid named provost over other white dudes

Note: The French Fry is an excerise in satire. The following articles and images are of a humorous nature and do not reflect actual events on campus or thoughts, beliefs and actions of the individuals mentioned. Any resemblence of any persons dead of living is just because we are awesome and we think you're awesome, too. Advertisers of pages other than 3,4,5 or 6 are in no way associated with The French Fry.

Despite previous reports, President William Ruud and the Board have now made their official selection for provost as of Wednesday. Politicial science major Eric Boisen has been tapped to assume the position held by Mike Licari since the fall of 2014. 

The choice will likely be confirmed at the next Board of Regents meeting in April. 

Ruud said he placed his utmost trust in the Provost Search Committee to nominate the best candidate. 

“When the Provost Search Committee nominated him [Boisen] as the only viable applicant I was … surprised. But then I just kind of thought, ‘Meh, let’s give him a shot,’” said Ruud. 

Boisen surprised the entire campus by announcing his campaign in a January edition of the Northern Iowan. 

“What makes [me] any more suited to be provost than anyone else? … Let me start by saying that I can correctly spell ‘provost,’ which is a pretty good start,” Boisen said. 

The search committee found this to be a rare and sufficient qualification — a qualification essential to the Office of the Provost. 

“When he spelled out ‘P-R-O-V-O-S-T’ in his interview, I thought: ‘Wow, we’ve got a front-runner here!’” said John Johnson, chair of the Provost Search Committee. 

Boisen hopes to “advance UNI’s commitment to diversity.” 

“I, a young, white middle-class male from Iowa, am the best resource on diversity that there is,” Boisen said. 

Taking into consideration UNI’s recent history, and the perceived need to restore trust among faculty and the administration, Boisen outlined his plans to salve these wounds. 

“Three words: interdepartmental scavenger hunts!” Boisen said. “That should take their minds off of it.” 

Boisen received a warm response at his open forum presentation held in February to a packed house of faculty, staff and students. 

Bert Macklin, criminology major and student representative to the search committee, felt that Boisen held his own with the other candidates in the open forum. 

“Well, he spouted off some generalized, vague nonsense about our university’s academic mission and really pandered to the lowest common denominator of the faculty and students … So in that way, I guess his open forum was a lot like the other candidates’ presentations,” said Macklen. 

Boisen will officially assume his position in June.