Sparky’s cover charge change

Note: The French Fry is an excerise in satire. The following articles and images are of a humorous nature and do not reflect actual events on campus or thoughts, beliefs and actions of the individuals mentioned. Any resemblence of any persons dead of living is just because we are awesome and we think you're awesome, too. Advertisers of pages other than 3,4,5 or 6 are in no way associated with The French Fry.

Local Cedar Falls hot spot Sparky’s Pun House will soon be changing their admittance policy. Effective April 1, the highly-respected establishment will be accepting alternative forms of payment at the door: vaporizer pens. 

Known to much of the youth by its slang term, “vape pens,” this trendy new version of the e-cigarette is a hit amongst UNI students. This is sort of a blanket term given to many different types of e-cigs. Hookah pens typically fall under this category and are one of the more popular types of vaporizer pens. Especially popular with the underage crowd, Sparky’s believes that this will cause a spark to their revenue. 

“College kids are broke, and we understand that,” said Chad Brian Michaels, Sparky’s bartender and UNI alum. “But we thought if we changed the cover charge from actual money to some sort of trading goods transaction, people might feel like they weren’t spending too much to get in.” 

After several focus groups asking what type of currency the bar should switch to, the management at Sparky’s came to the decision that vape pens were the way to go. 

“They really capture the essence of our target demographic,” Michaels said. 

Luckily for UNI students, The Misty Mountain tobacco shop is only a few short steps from Sparky’s front door.

But why vape pens? Why not baseball cards or pizza rolls in place of money? 

“They just give you, like, a really chill buzz. It’s so smooth. Really, just super chill. I’m way stoked, man. It’s gonna be so kush,” said Tyler Tylers, sophomore communication major and frequent patron of Sparky’s.

The average hookah pen costs around $8.95, but Sparky’s plans on instating special deals to accommodate the slight rise in cover charge. 

“We have some ideas in the works,” Michaels said. “We really can’t wait to see what this change will bring us. It’s only a matter of time before other places on The Hill follow suit.”