Decades of Pride at UNI

The kaleidoscope of rainbow colors decorating hallways, t-shirts and even fingernails is a sure sign it’s Pride Week once again at UNI. But the signs aren’t as important as the meaning behind them. 

Pride Week is a tradition that goes back at least a decade, according to UNI Proud President Ella Daft, sophomore political science major. But according to Daft it’s much more than just the result of tradition; it is inclusion, particularly the inclusion of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer community.

“For students, Pride Week is supposed to show you don’t have to be heterosexual or cisgender to be welcomed as a Panther,” said Daft, who called the diversity of the community “inspiring.”

Pride Week offers events each day that are free and open to the public. This year’s theme, “Always Here, Forever Queer,” is meant to pay homage to those who have worked so hard in the past for equality.

Events so far have included a drag show, the Queer Monologues and a presentation from Donna Red Wing, executive director of One Iowa. Red Wing works as an activist for the LGBT* community and is a strong presence in the political world for her work as an LGBT* movement leader.  

Thursday’s event is a  6 p.m. screening of “We Were Here,” a documentary about HIV/AIDS, which will be held in the Elm Room in the Maucker Union.

The final event of Pride Week will be the second annual Progressive Prom hosted by UNI Proud in the Commons Ballroom on Friday at 8 p.m. The theme of the prom this year is “Decades.” Students may dress up in clothes from their favorite era. Food and refreshments will be provided.  

In addition to the celebration of diversity, Pride Week is also meant as a commemoration for the accomplishments of the LGBT* community, such as getting gender-neutral restrooms and improving gender-neutral housing.

However, having a Pride Week doesn’t mean there aren’t still challenges for the LGBT* community. Heather Place, representative for the LGBT* Center on campus, pointed out that society is still largely obstructive to the LGBT* community.

“We live in a country in which there are still states that you can be fired simply for being who you are. We have students whose loved ones are no longer supportive of them simply because of who they are. We need a Pride Week because we face issues with homophobia on this campus and [these issues] did not end with marriage equality coming to Iowa, or with the opening of the LGBT* Center on campus,” said Place. 

With that in mind, the final purpose of Pride Week is solidarity, for UNI to stand together completely in support of its LGBT* members during any challenges they may face. 

“I hope Pride Week really shines a light on all that we’ve accomplished, but also fires people up for new challenges,” said Daft.