NISG preps for homecoming, approves funding for men’s soccer club

NISG+Night+hosted+by+NISG+members%2C+will+give+student+the+opportunity+to+chat+with+NISG+members.+Free+pizza+will+be+provided.+

Courtesy

NISG Night hosted by NISG members, will give student the opportunity to chat with NISG members. Free pizza will be provided.

NICK BAUR

Backdropped by the encroaching, cool fall air, Northern Iowa Student Government (NISG) members kicked off their sixth regular meeting of the fall semester in Maucker Union’s University Room. In a relatively brief in-person and virtual meeting, lasting just over 45 minutes, Speaker of the Senate Sam Caughron opened the meeting with the traditional call to order. 

The meeting then pivoted to weekly reports from directors of various committees and the organization’s advisor. Student government advisor Mike Bobelyk shared his advisor’s report with a focus on the impending weekly traditions related to UNI’s Homecoming Week, taking place this year from Sept. 26-Oct. 2. More information on these school spirit happenings can be found at homecoming.uni.edu. 

Next, Chief Justice Parker Daniels relayed his agenda for the Judiciary branch of NISG, revolving around redrafting and updating the rules of the court and preparing for the next year’s election. 

Following Daniels, Director of Administration and Finance, Derek Koppes, delivered an update on the current fund balances available for NISG and connected student organizations; with $83,564 in the NISG contingency fund as well as $39,345 in the NISG Coca-Cola fund. 

Director of Government Relations, Zach  Zippe, then updated members on the very positive NISG meeting with the Board of Regents as well as the issue of finalizing the NISG agenda for the year. Rounding out the in-person speakers, Director of Public Relations Timothy Perkson proposed incorporating a NISG meeting stream option for more individuals to be able to view the weekly proceedings. If adopted, more information on this viewing medium will be available at a later date. 

The final item on the evening’s docket, the approval of $500 from the NISG Contingency Fund for the University of Northern Iowa Men’s Soccer Club was brought before the assembled students. The UNI Men’s Soccer Club originally asked NISG for $1200 for equipment related to club activities, but due to certain restrictions mandated by NISG’s constitution, the senators were only able to approve up to $500 for club equipment. 

With no debate, the gathered members voted to approve the measure by a vote of 9-0-1 and the meeting was adjourned. 

A reminder for those interested in getting involved or learning more about NISG, the NISG will be hosting NISG Night in the Maucker Ballroom from 6:30-8 p.m. on Sept. 29. Free pizza will be provided. 

NISG meets every week at 8 p.m. on Wednesdays in the University Room of Maucker Union. These meetings are free and open to the public. Check back here in next week’s issue for more ongoing coverage related to NISG, their initiatives, and news surrounding the organization.