Progressing through the ages

Bringing Pride Week to a close, dancers tore up the dance floor at the second annual Progressive Prom on Friday.

“Progressive Prom is for all UNI students and community members to celebrate the end of Pride Week. It also gives students and community members a chance to go to prom if they missed the opportunity, were unable to truly be themselves at prom or simply relive their high school prom,” said Jak Kuder, sophomore criminology and psychology double major.

The prom was held in the Commons Ballroom and was free for anyone to attend, not only UNI students. They had a photo area, refreshment table and a dance floor. This year’s theme was ‘Decades.’

Brooke Colvin, 18, from Waterloo attended with friends from UNI. She said that the theme provided some guidelines of what to wear and made the event more comfortable.

“You could tell everyone was just there to have fun and spend some time with each other,” Colvin said.

Once the music began, dancers flooded the floor. Over the course of the event, many songs were played and sung by the crowd. The DJ played a variety of genres and took requests throughout the night.                   

“Progressive Prom is important to UNI, as it serves as a night for everyone to have a good time and feel accepted for who they are or how they identify. It really brings the community together and gives space for celebration of diversity, acceptance and solidarity. We want this event to unite everyone and celebrate the progress of UNI,” Kuder said.