Gleeful farewell

Gleeful+farewell

Across a stage decorated with patriotic flags and UNI colors, 140 people from 53 countries gained American citizenship.

Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. in Maucker Ballroom, Chief Magistrate Judge Jon Scoles presided over the Naturalization Proceeding and together, with their respective families, members of the UNI community and other attendees celebrated a new identity.

Scoles, who swore in the 140 people, led the new citizens in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and invited the rest of the attendees to join in as well. Scoles told the crowd our nation, which was founded on immigration, finds one of its strengths to be just that — immigration.

“I get a little emotional when I tell them they are official citizens,” Scoles said.

Obtaining the new status as an American, for some, means not having to worry about where they belong. For Ammar Alsamawi, a student at the University of Iowa, gaining American citizenship stabilizes where he calls home.

Alsamawi, a refugee from Iraq, fled to Jordan after his family was threatened and knew going back to Iraq wasn’t an option. Alsamawi applied to become an American citizen with the hope of making America his home.

“In a way, a lot of people just dream to come to America, but at the same time, my sister is married to an American and has been a citizen for a while,” Alsamawi said. “So when we applied to the United Nations, they try to find people in western countries that are stable countries that you have some family in, so that was also a reason.”

After Parker’s pieces, a group of Glee Club members stepped down and formed a smaller ensemble called Camerata, led by senior Glee Club member, Colby Campbell, senior music and studies major.  

Camerata performed a song entitled, “My Lord, What a Mornin.” The smiles and cheers from the audience finished off their song.

After the Glee Club regrouped, the last song of the first half was performed. A quick explanation and reading of “The Ballade of Little Musgrave and Lady Barnard” was given and later performed in its musical form. It was performed in a musical theatre style with rhythmic breaks and off-beat chanting. 

The second half of the show began with Jess Monnier, a senior music performance major and accompanist for the Glee Club, playing a solo piece, “Hungarian Rhapsody No. 9 ‘Carnival in Pest.’” After she completed, the audience stood up and applauded as the Glee Club reentered the stage. 

Former members of the Glee Club were invited to the stage to sing, “Brothers, Sing On!,” a song encompassing the spirit of the Men’s Glee Club’s mission in music. 

The program ended with more upbeat musical numbers, such as “Cecilia” by Simon and Garfunkel, arranged by Deke Sharon, and “Madeline.” 

The concert ended with a musical salute to the senior members of the Glee Club as they sang,  “Sing Your Way Home.” 

After the concert, Annette Campbell, mother of one of the Glee Club members, commented on the brotherhood of the Glee Club. 

“There’s more to college than your degree here…and [senior members need to] keep those friendships no matter what corner of the globe you end up in, no matter what profession you end up in, these are pretty special relationships.” 

Monday’s UNI Men’s Varsity Glee Club Show may have been the last performance for some, but it is just the beginning for others.