KNOW MORE survey sent to students

ANTONIA GOODWIN, Copy Editor

University aims to gather data about gender violence

The Office of Compliance and Equity Management currently has the KNOW MORE Gender Violence Survey open to UNI students. The survey is available through Nov. 19, 2021.

According to the Office of Compliance and Equity Management, the KNOW MORE survey is meant “to help understand student perspectives and experiences related to gender violence while attending UNI.” They have been using the KNOW MORE graphic since spring 2018 to attempt to gain information and awareness of gender violence on campus. It has been difficult to gather information on students’ perspectives, especially after the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Students received an email from UNI President Mark Nook, inviting them to take the survey on Oct. 1. This email contains a link to the survey as well as current statistics on sexual assault on college campuses. The information states, “Gender violence impacts as many as 1 in 5 women, 1 in 14 men, and 1 in 4 transgender students on college campuses each year. This means we will probably know at least one person in our lives who has experienced gender violence, whether we are aware of it or not.”

The KNOW MORE survey takes students, on average, around 20 to 30 minutes to complete. The more students that participate in the survey, the more accurate the results will be. The information the survey supplies is instrumental to UNI’s response to campus sexual harrassment. Taking the survey allows students to fulfill a crucial role in protecting and supporting the UNI community against this problem.

To find out more about the KNOW MORE Gender Violence Survey visit the KNOW MORE website at https://equity.uni.edu/how-help/prevention-and-education/know-more. For additional information or support regarding gender violence on campus, please visit equity.uni.edu.