Update on shots fired on the hill

• Brandon Javon Mitchell was arrested on charges of attempted murder among other charges.

• Daniel Martez-Judon was arrested on charges of intimidation with a weapon.

CAROLINE CHRISTENSEN, Executive Editor

Editors Note: this is an updated story from the article published on Feb. 7 entitled “Person killed on the hill.”

UNI students received an emergency alert at 2:06 a.m. Sunday warning of shots fired near 22nd and College St. The suspect listed was a black male wearing black jeans and a black coat. The all clear was sent out at 4:14 a.m., stating the Cedar Falls Police Department had cleared the scene and the suspect was still at large. 

Arthur Craig Lang, a 19-year-old from Clear Lake, has been identified as the victim who died from the shooting on College Hill Sunday around 2 a.m. Lang was brought to MercyOne Cedar Falls Medical Center and later died from his injuries.

Cedar Falls Police Department arrested Brandon Javon Mitchell, 25, of Mason City, on charges of “attempted murder, intimidation with a weapon and felon in possession of a weapon.” His bond was set at $100,000 during a Monday morning appearance in Black Hawk County District Court in Waterloo. 

Daniel Martez Judon, 24, also of Mason City, was arrested on charges of “intimidation with a weapon,” and his bond was set at $25,000. 

According to court records, Land, Mitchell and Judon were driving in a black SUV when they pulled up to two pedestrians who were standing at the entrance to the Lot G parking lot area at the intersection of College and 22nd street around 1:45 a.m. Police believe Lang was initially driving the SUV. 

Captured on a nearby security camera, one of the pedestrians approached the vehicle and began talking with someone inside. The second pedestrian began to approach the SUV, but then backed up and began shooting. Judon, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, retrieved a gun from under the seat and moved to the back of the vehicle where he started shooting. One of the pedestrians was shot in the chest, and both ran through the parking lot until the injured pedestrian collapsed.

Judon suffered more minor injuries, however Lang was hit in the gunfight. He was later pronounced dead at Sartori Hospital. 

After the initial shooting, the SUV started to drive down College Street, and a block later Mitchell climbed out of the vehicle and headed back toward the scene of the shootout. He then fired more shots at the man on the ground, apparently missing others in the area and people behind his target. Mitchell then ran back to the SUV and left.

The man who collapsed in the parking lot had not fired any shots in the shoot out, and was flown to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. He is currently in stable condition and is expected to survive. The man’s identity has not been released.

According to court records Mitchell is barred from handling firearms due to a 2021 misdemeanor domestic violence conviction and a restraining order.

None of the people involved in the shooting have connections with the University of Northern Iowa.