Local theatre thrives in upcoming musical

Courtesy

“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: boasts local talent in their upcoming production.

CAROLINE CHRISTENSEN, Executive Editor

“Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” is set to debut April 22 and 23 at GBPAC

Gallagher Bluedorn Performing Arts Center’s (GBPAC) dazzlingly vibrant production of the musical classic, “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” will run for a total of three performances starting April 22 through the 23. 

The production boasts a massive local collaboration between GBPAC, the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Symphony, the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Community Theatre, the Waterloo Community Playhouse and Black Hawk Children’s Theatre. 

“Having a project like this as a community collaboration means that the Cedar Valley gets to share in this experience,” Gallagher Bluedorn’s marketing manager Chris Hale said. “Whether you are on stage for the first time ever, your 50th production, or whether you’ve been to a musical before you’ve seen them all, we can all have that experience together and I think there is something really beautiful about that.”

Hale continued, “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat came from the Gallagher Bluedorn’s idea that we work best in the community,” Hale said. “We are fortunate enough to have an arts rich community. It will be a wonderful celebration of the talent we have here.”

Almost three years in the making, this production features 41 actors and 13 creative team members who are all locals from the Cedar Valley area. The musical features classic well-known songs from Andrew Lloyd Webber including, “Any Dream Will Do,” “Go, Go, Go Joseph,” “Song of the King” and “Close Every Door.”

“There are so many talented people in the community that may have been hiding out that you didn’t know they were so talented,” Cast member Elizabeth Hill said. “We are ready to be in front of an audience and share the joy we’ve had performing and working together. We want the audience to enjoy, live in the moment and experience Joseph’s story.” 

Hale also emphasized the high level of production executed by the staff and performers. 

“They’ve been in rehearsal for months now. The caliber of performance is unlike something like I’ve seen in my year here in the Cedar Valley. It’s very exciting to see,” Hale said.

Hill also commented on the high level of performance from the cast. 

“I cannot believe how talented our lead roles are. It’s so amazing just to hear them sing and how their voices carry. The cast is just great. If anyone wants to stay after the show and meet them they are so fun and so amazing. I am so blessed to be a part of it.”

Tickets for this much anticipated production are on sale now online, in-person, or over the phone. Visit GBPAC.com/Joseph or call (319) 273-7469 to purchase tickets today. UNI students may also use one of their two free tickets for GBPAC performances for this production.