Stress Less week begins

• Active Minds, established in 2016, hosts events to bring awareness to mental health like the Field of Flags where students write positive messages and put them on Lawther Field

• Paws for a Cause & Bake Sale will be hosted Wednesday from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in the Maucker Union Ballrooms.

• With the onset of finals week, students can rest and relax with the many events planned by Active Minds.

MADDIE DAVIS, Staff Writer

Active Minds to host various events centered around mental health from April 24-29

Students are encouraged to join Active Minds for Stress Less Week from April 24-April 29. They will be hosting various events all week along with other clubs in several locations on campus to help students de-stress before finals.

The Active Minds chapter was founded in 2016 to educate and provide opportunities for students to get more involved with mental health. Hosting a week of fun events provides engaging opportunities for students to take time for themselves and de-stress.

Audrey Vint, Vice President of Active Minds and Elementary Education student noted, “I think the point of holding these events is to not only make sure that students know what mental health is, but that it’s also important. Everyone has mental health whether they see it as a negative or positive thing.”

She continued, “Acknowledging mental health in general and realizing that it’s okay to take a break for yourself, especially right before finals, is really important.”

The Out of Darkness Walk was hosted outside the commons 1-4 p.m. to kick off the week of events. They partnered with Active Minds to raise money for the suicide prevention hotline.

The Psychology Club will partner with Active Minds for their monthly meeting by hosting Self Care Night Monday, April 25 in Sabin 002 from 8-9 p.m. An array of stations will be set up as a fun way for students to engage and de-stress.

Tuesday, April 26, Make the Change will be hosting an event located in the State College Room at 6 p.m. This event will allow students to write letters to people in the community, loved ones, or even thank you notes to professors. These letters can be distributed by hand or given to Active Minds members to be mailed.

The largest event, Paws for a Cause & Bake Sale, will be hosted Wednesday, April 27, in the A and B Maucker Union Ballrooms from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Therapy dogs from the local shelter will be in attendance, and people will have the opportunity to purchase baked goods to support Active Minds. In addition, many clubs will be tabling, including the Student Wellness Center and Counseling Center, with additional fun activities.

The Student Public Health Association will be tabling in the WRC Thursday, April 28, from 2-4 p.m. They will be hosting Cookies and Coloring to help make students make the connection between physical and mental health.

Friday, April 29, the social media Gratitude Scavenger Hunt will conclude the week of events. During the week, participants are encouraged to post pictures of checklist items and tag Active Minds to be entered into a raffle.

Vint concluded, “There are a lot of mental health resources here on campus. I know a lot of students don’t take advantage of those, unfortunately. We want to help spread the word about mental health and show what’s available for students is our main priority.”