CHAS welcomes new Panthers to campus

Dean of the College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences John Fritch wishes students a year rich in experiences in and out of the classroom.

John Fritch, Guest Columnist

The College of Humanities, Arts and Sciences (CHAS) welcomes you to the University of Northern Iowa!

The faculty, staff and students of the college represent a broad range of interests. We offer programs ranging from Philosophy to Technology; have students with interests ranging from pre-medicine to middle school and high school teaching; and with faculty working in facilities ranging from physics labs to discussion-based classrooms and from larger lecture halls to art studios.

Students in can choose from majors in the departments of Applied Engineering and Technical Management, Art, Biology, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Communication and Media, Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Languages and Literatures, Mathematics, Philosophy and World Religions, Physics, and Theatre and the School of Music.

Across the college, students are active outside the classroom. Many students are involved in research and creative activities. This year, students in CHAS will perform “Little Shop of Horrors,” conduct independent research in labs with the support of faculty, compete in speech and debate competitions, attend academic conferences and participate in student organizations across the college. You also will find faculty committed to your success in the classroom. CHAS faculty have received numerous teaching awards within the college and university and from regional and national organizations. In the past year, more than a dozen faculty in CHAS were recognized for their teaching, scholarship and service to the students of UNI.

Please take advantage of the opportunities inside and outside the classroom. And, most importantly, welcome to UNI!

Sincerely,
John Fritch
Dean, CHAS
Professor, Communication Studies