The benefits of Frugality

We’re a few weeks into the start of another school year, and I’m sure there is one thing on the mind of most of you: Money.

«How am I going to get some, but more importantly, how am I going to save some?» As we bemoan our problems, there’s that once piece of advice that everyone gets — or at least that I hear!

“Well, you’ll just need to be frugal!”

While that may conjure an image of Depression-era living or packing sandwiches every day, there’s really more to it. Rather, frugality should be thought of as a lifestyle – A lifestyle with more benefits than just saving some cash on your food bills. If you let it, frugal living can enhance all parts of your life. Let’s just look at a few things:

It simplifies your life. Students lead hectic lives, and who wouldn’t want a way to make life a bit easier? You have less things around the house or dorm, you have less things that you have to clean. If you spent less money a month, you have fewer bills and records to keep track of. Tired of the stress of finding a decent parking spot? Walking to class or the store will fix that.

It encourages creativity. By using what you have, you find you can create all sorts new things. Rather than buying posters that you’ll only use once, you can create some colorful wall-art with cheap fabric. Churn those creative juices to make a cheap meal from scratch, or recreate something wonderful from last night’s leftovers. Need something to entertain your little siblings for a night? You’ll find that a metal can, a nail, and a hammer can make some modern-art looking candle holders.

It makes you more social. This can be taken a couple of different ways. Social frugality can mean inviting friends outside to a picnic, or to go enjoy one of the Campus Activity Board Thurdaze events (or any of those free events on campus). You can hold an exchange party — buy food in bulk to swap it around or make a clothing swap where everyone brings clothing to share.

It helps a cause. There are tons of ways to match frugality with your favorite political or social statements. Are you all about going green? Reuse glass jars, turn off that air conditioner and buy your clothes secondhand. (A two-for-one if you use Good Will or Saint Vincent De Paul!) Want to support animal rights? Going vegetarian can be an excellent to shrink your grocery bill. Want to promote local farmers? The Cedar Falls farmer’s markets are a great place to start.

It creates self-reliance and boosts self-esteem . You might be amazed what learning a skill does for your self-esteem. Rather than paying for your oil to be changed, learn to do it yourself. You save money, learn something new and can really know that you’ve done something yourself. Feeling accomplished releases endorphins, and who doesn’t like the feeling of a job well done?

Whatever your reason, I think we can all agree that frugality is just a good idea. So before you get too far into the school year, it’s time to take a serious look at your life and see just how you can live more modestly, more frugally and more pleasurably.