Stop microaggress-ing around

The topic of microaggressions on University of Northern Iowa’s campus has gone from exposing the issue of degradation of underrepresented students, faculty, and staff to merely a buzz word. I was fortunate enough to learn more about microaggressions from Dr. Stephanie Logan with new freshman and transfer students who attended the Jump Start Program this fall. 

Best-selling author Derald Wing Sue defines microaggressions as, “Everyday insults, indignities, and demeaning messages sent to people of color or other marginalized groups by often well-intentioned individuals who are unaware of the hidden messages being sent to them.” 

After our mock lecture with Dr. Logan, many of the Jump Start students were able to identify microaggressions. We went a little overboard on identifying them throughout the rest of the week, and even exploited some insults as “macroaggressions.”

Although I am glad students are starting to grasp what microaggressions are, we still need to work on preventing them. It is imperative to understand people of other underrepresented identities, more than just those of color, experience these insults daily. 

Here are a couple examples I have seen in the past couple of weeks at UNI. As a biracial student and woman I have been told, “You have such good hair for a black girl” and “you are the whitest black girl I know.” In high school I was more than tolerant of these words, mainly because I did not notice they were back-handed compliments. 

An anonymous tweet I encountered on the UNI Confessions Twitter page, unaffiliated with the University, stated, “too many ethnic chicks trying to act ethnic.” Such demeaning messages are also said to women, the LGBT* community, people with disabilities, religious minorities and many others.

Last semester at the event I, Too, am UNI, students, faculty and staff voiced microaggressions they face on campus. The event was both powerful yet horrifying knowing these insults and assumptions were made on our campus. 

Something new I learned about Dr. Logan’s lecture was that it does not matter what your intentions are when you sent those demeaning messages, microaggressions are determined by those who are on the receiving end of it. 

In the past, people have switched dorms, transferred schools, worked at different schools, etc. because of remarks made by good-intentioned people. Sometimes, our closest peers can be the ones with the most hurtful words. I have been both a victim and culprit. 

The bottom line is we need to be more intentional of inclusion in our language with others on campus. Be aware of how our language is interpreted by others. For those who have tolerated microaggressions or have experienced it second-hand, choose to be intolerant of ignorance. Our campus has the potential to be more inclusive. Individuals, organizations and administration are making great strides to make this campus a more welcoming and safe place. 

Be part of the movement. For people interested in learning more about diversity and inclusion, the UNI National Coalition Building Institute offers free diversity workshops led by an advisory committee comprised of UNI faculty and staff. Also, check out student organizations pertaining to minorities, even if you do not identify with them.