UNI competes at Iowa Fall Classic

CADEN SHEA, Sports Editor

The UNI men’s golf team competed in the Iowa Fall Classic on Tuesday afternoon at the Blue Top Ridge Golf Course in Riverside, Iowa. The Panthers shot a team score of 921 which helped them obtain a sixth place finish. The Classic was won by the University of Iowa Hawkeyes who shot a total of 884. 

The first day of play was capitalized by four birdies right off the bat on the front nine by Thomas Storbeck. Storbeck shot a 72 on the first round of the day for an even score before shooting a 76 later that afternoon to finish the day four shots over par. Connor Van Weelden shot an eagle on the third hole of the first round of the morning, also shooting an even first round. Griffin Parker tied for 30th on the first day by shooting an 81 in the first round and a 76 in the second for a total of 157. Tommy Doyle tied for 34th with a total 158 after rounds of 75 and 83, respectively.

The second day was more difficult than the first for the Panthers. Storbeck shot an 81 which gave him a total of 229 for the tournament. His second day was highlighted by a birdie on the back nine. Both Storbeck and Van Weelden finished the tournament with scores of 229 or 13 over par on the entire course. Nile Petersen, a freshman for the Panthers, shot an even 72 on the second day. This gave him a total of 235 after sinking five birdies on the second day. This gave him a +19 on the course and 28th place on his first intercollegiate tournament. 

The Panthers fall season will conclude on Oct. 24 and 25 in Tulsa, Okla. when they compete in The Clerico at the Oaks Country Club hosted by Oral Roberts University.