Go green with campus cleanup

The+RRTTC+hosts+events+throughout+the+year+promoting+sustainability.+They+tabled+in+Maucker+Union+earlier+this+school+year+and+will+continue+to+host+a+variety+of+educational+events+that+allow+students+to+connect+over+sustainability+issues.+

The RRTTC hosts events throughout the year promoting sustainability. They tabled in Maucker Union earlier this school year and will continue to host a variety of educational events that allow students to connect over sustainability issues.

LUKE NELSON, Staff Writer

The Recycling & Reuse Technology Transfer Center (RRTTC) is hosting a campus cleanup on Thursday, Oct. 27 at 4 p.m. in the WRC parking lot. The event is expected to last an hour and a half with the afternoon culminating in a trip to Chad’s Pizza. 

The sign up for this event is located on their website: rrttc.com. Students are still encouraged to show up and help out without signing up prior to the event. 

Jenny Bruss is the outreach and programming coordinator for the RRTTC who aims to promote sustainability, research and education on and off campus. 

She described the event as “A great opportunity to give back to the campus.” 

Bruss stated that getting involved in the RRTTC’s events doesn’t take a huge commitment, but it helps out a lot. “Everyone can do one thing to be greener,” she said. “It only takes one step.” Bruss’ involvement in the RRTTC reaches many students through a variety of hosted activities. 

The RRTTC is hosting a slew of events such as the Chew & View, which is an event where participants meet up at Starbucks and discuss individuals’ impact on the environment and how to reduce waste. This event will take place on Nov. 8. 

The first meeting of the student sustainability group is on Nov. 10. This group seeks ways to reduce negative environmental impacts across campus. All students are welcome to join the sustainability group. 

Later in the year, students can participate in a brand sort that increases awareness of the effect 12 brands have on the environment by sorting the campus’ waste in hazmat suits. The details and signups for each event can be found on the RRTTC website. Students can also find more information on the RRTTC Instagram account and Facebook account. 

The RRTTC is already running the plastics campaign which effectively reduces the use of plastic bags on campus. At the beginning of the year most students received a UNI bag in a small, sealable pouch. This replaces several pounds of harmful pollutants. 

The RRTTC is pointing UNI’s campus in a sustainable direction, and the student body can be the pushing factor by volunteering for sustainability events like the cleanup.