We reform the social culture, not them

Recently, UNI has seen an increase in reported sexual assault.  With mass emails sent to thousands, a quiet murmur is bound to develop. It takes off with roots tentatively embedded in idle curiosity and quickly finds itself transplanted deep in misplaced indignation. Sexual assault is suddenly synonymous with ‘overreacting’ and justifications provided for the offenses are anything but logical. Further speculation ensues and the community suddenly attributes these reports to some kind of sexual assault ‘boom.’  

The assertion that silence somehow equates safety and refusing to speak of the topic points us toward a viable solution is entirely distorted. Strange as it may seem, the assumption that a ‘boom’ is occurring may be the most comforting feedback presently available. Notice a key word in the sentence, “Recently, UNI has seen an increase in reported sexual assault.” Not an increase in sexual assault, an increase in reported sexual assault.    

Whether it’s being discussed or not, according to the United States Department of Justice, approximately “1 in 5 women and 1 in 16 men are targets of attempted or completed sexual assault while they are college students.” It’s an uncomfortable topic, but it demands our attention. As tragic as it may be to accept, assault isn’t a newfangled concept. The way in which it is being addressed is changing.  It’s finally being given the consideration it absolutely warrants.  

The University of Northern Iowa has implemented a variety of efforts to avert the problem indefinitely. With requiring incoming student online sexual assault preventative training, mandated online training for the university’s employees, the SAVE Forum Actors, Mentors in Violence Prevention Training, the Student Health 101 magazine publication, the newly effected pledges through the national It’s On Us Campaign and a variety of other measures, UNI endeavors to spread awareness. The institution is inviting students to gain a fresh perspective on an insistent topic, to become a part of the conversation, and subsequently, a part of the resolution.  

Conversely, by nurturing a supportive, informative environment, gradually more and more of the affected are finding their voice. The mere increase in email correspondence regarding the issue should designate that. 

And while learning of another sexual assault continues to be disconcerting, the fact that the campus community is being alerted should provide a sensible amount of comfort. It indicates that a student was able to seek solace in university officials and that action is being taken.  

Situations like this are never pleasant. An awful lot of finger pointing happens. People come together en masse in their insecurity and decide it’s easier to mutually funnel their frustration and diffidence at an easily identifiable target, such as an establishment or institution. But resolve does not come from collectively blaming another entity, it progenies from cooperatively joining a call to action.  

I implore you to actively take a stance against sexual assault.  Educate yourself in every way available and connect with other students.  This week UNI is featuring a variety of different opportunities to get involved.  Consider attending A Cultural Conversation on Sexual Assault in Iowa, Beat the Blame Game and signing the It’s On Us campaign pledge. I encourage you; plaster it on your walls, wear it on your t-shirts, and explicate the message far and wide.  But, also remember to live it. Remember to perpetuate its importance long after the initial clamor has died down. Remember that it is our combined responsibility to continue this and in our solidarity lies the chance to defeat it.     

It truly is On Us.