What I’m really afraid of is the “J” word

The end of the fall semester is in sight and, for most people, the joys of Christmas break and the excitement of not having to do anything for a month is on the tip of their minds. However, for most seniors, like myself, who haven’t found a job or have no idea what they are doing after graduation, the end of the semester is acting like a check engine light for our lives, do we have a plan?

I will admit my plan, or what I have thought up in my mind, is a little out there. I plan on moving to New York City to pursue stand-up comedy. Of course, I can’t just pack up my things, move to the big apple and expect to become Louis C.K. immediately. Although that would be nice, I am aware I will most likely be living in a dump that costs more to rent each month than I myself am even worth. 

None of this can happen without one simple thing: a job. 

The “J” word alone has been on my mind since I completed an internship this summer. Last year it was all about landing an internship and pretending to be an adult. This year, the time has finally come. 

I am supposed to get a job after graduating? I feel like it was just yesterday my friend and I were sitting on the ninth floor of Dancer Hall without a care in the world. Our biggest struggles in life then were getting to Dashes before it opened to avoid a large line and reading a chapter for humanities. 

Now, I have to find a job, look for an apartment, start paying all my bills myself and on top of all of that, I have to figure out how I am going to move the small amount of stuff I have across the country. 

I know I am not alone. As May comes closer each day, more Facebook statuses about people finding a job after graduation, the more my blood pressure continues to increase. What if I don’t find a job? What if I don’t end up finding one for months and have to stay in Cedar Falls or, even worse, move in with my parents? 

Some days I wish I was Paris Hilton and was born into an affluent family. 

It would be amazing never having to worry about money and having the connections around the world to get anything you wanted, but then I remember the shame that being Paris Hilton would bring to someone. I am happy for my shortcomings. 

I will find a job, maybe it won’t be ideal and maybe it will include getting coffee for someone and being their errand boy but, hey, we all have to start somewhere right?