Every tip you will ever need

Every Tip You Will Ever Need to Survive Finals Week

It is that time of year when everyone is making a big deal over finals week. Chances are your “dead week” is anything but. Professors, not wanting to wait until finals to have their class over with, assign many of their tests and papers the week before finals. Most students, perhaps overwhelmed by this, are procrastinating. I myself am writing this opinion column before the three papers I have due this week. In this time of procrastination, let me give you a few pieces of advice that may or may not help you. If this is your first finals week as a college student, take note. 

1. Everyone is on Facebook right now, so if you have anything you want to get a ton of likes (new relationship, funny photos, etc), post it now. Anytime between the end of finals and next semester is a social media dead time. 

2. I know you want to binge watch shows on Netflix, but you should replace one show or movie with a book you’ve been meaning to read (or at least a documentary). 

It should be noted that I read that last idea to my lovely girlfriend and she said “That’s a great idea! We should read a book!” I promptly responded “Oh, I wasn’t going to do that myself.” Hypocritical, maybe, but I like giving advice that I don’t follow.

3. Coffee is love, coffee is life, drink coffee constantly. You may be one of those freshmen who think “I don’t need to drink coffee to stay awake.” You are lying. I know, I was one of you. Just come on over to the dark (roast) side. 

4. Your professor is not out to get you. They want you to succeed. If you are seriously struggling, talk to your professor about any possible accommodations. Hopefully you have introduced yourself earlier this semester or made a good impression; that will help a ton!

5. Sleep. Get some. Your work during finals will be twice as productive if you get a good amount of sleep. Even though seeing the sunrise over the hills of the Perkins parking lot does have its perks, sleep is more important. 

6. For real. 

7. Sleep.

8. Do it.

9. Don’t get caught up in the finals week stress. Though getting good grades is important, one bad paper or test is not going to ruin your college career. Here is a pro-tip: employers don’t really look at your GPA, they look at what you were involved in and what you have accomplished. So work hard and do your best, but one bad grade will not end you. 

10. SLEEP

11. Take this time to reflect on the past semester. What did you like? What didn’t you like? What could you improve on for next semester? Focus on one or two small goals that you can work on for next semester. Over the course of four years, those small goals will make a huge difference. 

12. Hang out with your friends before you leave for break. If this is your first year here, you will most likely be home all break. By the end of break, you will either hate being home and/or extremely miss your friends. Make sure to see them before you leave for home. 

My last tip for you is to reiterate that finals week, while important, is not the end of the world. Work hard and study hard, but get some sleep and take time for yourself. Your health is more important than your grade. While I hope you take these words to heart, I want you to know that I will not do any of that. In fact, I am currently making a pot of coffee to start my third partial all-nighter of the week. To finals week! May we all survive!