Je suis Charlie, among other things

My thoughts immediately went to my host parents, living in Rennes, France, when I heard about the Charlie Hebdo attack. Although they were more than an hour away from Paris, I could still understand how they might feel about this tragic attack.

The more I watched CNN coverage on the attack, the more I began to think about this situation. A journalist at a satirical publication drew the Islamic prophet Mohammed (something I know one never does, if following the Islamic faith) and the picture was published. This attack came from those following the Islamic faith; those who were offended, and justifiably so. 

But does that mean Said and Cherif Kouachi, the brothers responsible for France’s deadliest attack in 50 years, had a right to seek revenge on Charlie Hebdo by using explosives and killing its employees? Absolutely not. Did they have a right to consult with the publication on how offended they were by means other than harming others’ lives? Absolutely. 

This attack provoked a scary thought: how safe is our freedom of speech, press, *insert freedom of choice.* If I cannot freely express my viewpoints, beliefs or values then what can I do? If my beliefs do not align with another’s and I choose to do something that might offend them, I still have every right to do it, right? Or am I forced to remain silent and allow myself to be suppressed? 

No, I think not. If a satirical, non-Islamic believing publication wishes to print Mohammed, they have a right to. If someone wants to go to a university campus to preach about their religious views, they have a right to.

Almost every year, UNI gets a special visit from (at least) two individuals, affectionately named Brother Jed and Sister Cindy. We saw them last year, we saw them this year and I’m willing to bet a month’s rent we’ll see them again next year. 

Their evangelical views are so radical to me, that I find myself, not enraged but laughing about their embellished damnations. While I do not agree with either their means of communicating or their message, I acknowledge the fact they are allowed to be here, they are allowed to preach to anyone who will listen, they are allowed to to stand on a bench, with an offensive prop (maybe one they deemed as the “chocolate covered bloody tampon”) and they are allowed to tell me I’m going to Hell.

Students listening have every right to counter their argument. Students can, and most times will, stand up for themselves. 

Later in the semester, UNI students experienced something even more horrific than our Brother and Sister. Hateful Yik Yak posts were discovered. These sexist, racist, homophobic posts were out there for the whole campus and part of Cedar Falls to see.

The persons behind this act may have been satirical, they may have been serious, but they were able to do so this without a threat of getting shot, blown up or tortured for their actions.

To show support to those who felt directly attacked by the Yik Yak posts, students came together in a solidarity movement. Students used their right of assembly to encourage positive behavior, to build one another up and to show the community they can do better. And they did.

This then, is the best way to counter an offensive statement: freedom of speech, not guns and explosions.

In this country where the First Amendment is celebrated, encouraged and referenced by so many, what if we lived in a world were it was not okay to stand up to what you believed in?

Another scary thought, I know. 

But really, think about it. What if we could not say, “No, I do not agree with your political argument,” whether we provide our own argument or not. What if our media was so stifled by control of, let’s say, the government *cough, North Korea, cough*. What if our world really was Orwell’s 1984.

It becomes a slippery slope when we begin to suppress voices. By that, I mean if we suffocate one person’s voice, doesn’t that mean your voice should be suffocated as well? Or, is that not right because YOU’RE the one affected by censorship now?

This country thrives on the First Amendment and we should respect others rights as well. After all, they do (should) have the same rights as I. While it was a bold move on Charlie Hebdo to publish to cartoon of Mohammed, they had a right to. Just as we, sinful students, have a right to stand up to bullies on our campus. 

-Amber Rouse

Executive Editor