International Education Week kicks off

CAROLINE CHRISTENSEN, Executive Editor

From the mountains of Colombia to the South Asian island of Sri Lanka, UNI’s International Engagement program hosts international students from 61 different countries across the world. These students will get the opportunity to showcase their country and culture during International Education Week, happening from Monday Nov. 14 to Friday Nov. 18. 

International Education Week is dedicated to celebrating international education across UNI’s campus, which includes international students, international faculty and departments implementing degrees and programs engaging global perspectives.

Ava Deitrich, an Iowa native and UNI senior, is the Office of International Engagement (OIE) Student Programming Coordinator. 

“As Iowans we aren’t necessarily oriented to seek out those connections, but it really broadens your worldview,” Dietrich said. “It’s an awesome opportunity to open up your mind to other people and experiences, and there is a little bit of something for everyone.”

Semyon Drozdetckii, an international student from Russia, encourages people to attend International Education Week events.

“It’s a really nice chance to expand your knowledge about other people’s culture because in Iowa you don’t get a lot of outside influence,” Drozdetckii said.  “It would be really nice to even just introduce yourself.”

Deitrich has been involved with the OIE since her freshman year and has loved interacting with international students during her years at UNI. She is looking forward to the many events planned for this week which highlight UNI’s international community.

“[International Education Week] is an awesome opportunity for them to shine. I love this community and I love these people. It makes me so happy that they get this moment.”

A full calendar of events for International Education Week can be found at internationalengagement.uni.edu. Highlights from the week’s events are included below.

Monday

Chat with International students from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. in the Elm Room at Maucker Union. 

Check out the Office of International Engagement’s (OIE) open house from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., located in the upper level of Maucker Union. 

Finally, make some s’mores from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at ThreeHouse with the International Community.

Tuesday

Taste of Culture, one of the most popular events hosted by OIE, will take place from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the Maucker Ballrooms. Experience food from countries around the world from international students and faculty.

Asian Student Union will also be hosting a craft night Tuesday evening from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in the Center for Multicultural Education (CME).

Wednesday

Check out the faculty panel entitled: “What in the World is Happening?” in the Scholarspace at Rod Library from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m sponsored by the UNI History Department. 

Domestic and international students will also get the opportunity to have a panel discussion from 3:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. in the Scholarspace. 

Finally, international karaoke and dance will take place in the Maucker Union Ballrooms from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Thursday

A Thanksgiving Dinner for international students, volunteers, and host families will take place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Orchard Hill Church. Registration for this event is required.

Friday

A Coffee Hour will take place at the Boys and Girls Club of Cedar Valley from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. 

Submit photos of your International Education Week experience all week in Goosechase. The scavenger hunt will close at 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 18. The person with the most points will win a Panther Prize Pack.

Also check out international displays in Rod Library and international cuisine in Piazza and Rialto throughout the week.