Letter from the editor

Dear City of Cedar Falls, 

I’d like to question your service to the City of Cedar Falls. 

Making my way to work Sunday afternoon was difficult and quite nerve-wracking. However, making it back to my apartment after I finished at the newspaper was even more exciting. The roads were worse and the drivers, just as cautious as I. 

It was just before halftime on the Superbowl. Despite having some staff gone due to weather, I managed to get out of work a few hours earlier than usual, mainly because I knew the weather might get worse as the night progressed and I wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to be stranded. Plus, I was excited to watch the rest of the big game. 

I had to work my way through more than a few inches of snow on roads that weren’t cleared including main roads that should have been cleared hours before. That is not acceptable.

I’d also like to take this opportunity to address Cedar Falls’ public work manager, Brian Heath, who spoke out about the snow removal in an interview with KWWL and said, “When we tell you to stay home, we expect you to stay home.” 

Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe the working world does not stop revolving if you tell us citizens to stay home. 

Not only do newspapers have to worry about getting their job done, but, more importantly, healthcare workers have to take care of their patients. If healthcare workers are expected to stay at home, are we supposed to expect those patient to get better without proper treatment?

Heath, you also said that if it was during rush hour, your trucks would have been out there. Gee, I didn’t know commuters with 9-5 jobs were the only drivers who mattered.

Nevermind the safety of those of us who do have jobs on the weekend. Nevermind the safety of our students who are working to make ends meet. Nevermind the safety of our editors, one of whom had to call campus police just to ensure she would get to work accident-free.

On a final note, I’d like to point out that the streets still haven’t been properly plowed. 

Five days have since passed and the streets are still messy and dangerous.Yet, Waterloo seems to have their roads in a suitable driving condition. As a proud student at UNI and community member of Cedar Falls, I ask you, what’s the deal?

-Amber Rouse, executive editor