Student Health Center calls for health supplies donations for cold and flu season

EMMA KOEHLER

Health items including unopened cold and flu medicine, cough drops and thermometers can be dropped off right inside of the Student Health Center on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

FATEMEH KARGARZADEH, Staff Writer

It is that time of year again — the cold and flu season. The Panther community is here to support the students with their well-being. The Student Health Center is hosting a health drive for its community from Nov. 28 until Dec. 9. 

It would be greatly appreciated from the Student Health Center if faculty members and students would be able to donate any of the following items: hand sanitizer, pain relievers like ibuprofen, cold and flu medicine, boxes of Kleenex, cough drops, over-the-counter medicine and thermometers. The cold and flu medicine and pain relievers need to be brand new. 

The items listed above can be dropped off at the Student Health Center from Monday through Friday during the Student Health Center hours, which are 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. There is a table right inside of the Student Health Center where items can be dropped off. 

The items that get donated to the Student Health Center will be sent to the Panther Pantry for students who are in need of health supplies during flu season. 

Sarah Behrends has been the interim director of the Student Health Center since the beginning of this year on Sept. 1. She originally started working at the Student Health Center in June of 2019 as the assistant director of nursing. 

“It’s just a way for us to support our Panther Pantry. We’ve understood that the donations are really going quickly in the Panther Pantry, and so it was just a better way we could support the Panther Pantry and provide some materials for students to utilize, especially during the cold season,” Behrends said. 

The Panther Pantry goes through cold and flu medicine quite fast, which is why the Student Health Center decided to help the pantry by hosting a health drive. 

It is important to be able to help the students who are in need of these items, especially this time of year when sickness comes around. 

It is imperative that students and faculty members know about the drive so that we can all help support each other. “It’s a way you can show your support to students that are less fortunate or unable to purchase these items on their own. It is just a way to show support,” Behrends said. 

By donating to the Student Health Center, we as a community can show that by coming together, we can do great things for each other. Donating is one of the ways we show that we care for each other’s well being. 

“In the spirit of giving, I hope that those that are able to help stop and give to those that are unable to purchase the items on their own,” Behrends said. 

Behrends and the rest of the Student Health Center staff hope that we all can support each other’s well-being by donating. It is always important to stop a minute and think how we as a community can help those who are less fortunate.

Behrends absolutely loves working with the Student Health Center. “To be able to work with the students on another level and to ensure support for them and have students feeling comfortable by knowing they can come to us if they have any needs that come up with their physical and mental health,” Behrends said.

For any more information, please reach out to the Student Health Center at 319-273-2009.