Letter from the Editor

This year in sports for UNI has been one for the books. The NCAA awarded our football team with distinctions, as we finished out the season ranked no. 1 in two different statistical categories. I’m sure certain members of the team won’t be forgetting about their senior year anytime soon; they certainly left their mark.

While our wrestling team is doing quite well for themselves this season as well, claiming victory this past weekend over no. 21 Old Dominion, UNI is now 5-3 in the MAC. 

The mats are heating up, following suit to our flaming-hot court. 

Our ball-dribbling men are climbing up the net ladder, now ranking no. 11 after knocking down Bradley this past Saturday, 56-39.

As our men’s basketball team keeps climbing higher and higher, I can’t help but think about 2009, when the Panthers appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated. You know, that nationally-published sports bible. And we were featured on the cover. 

Fun fact: in 2009 the average points per game was 63.3. This year, the average points per game is 65.2. I’m no expert, but I think that’s cover-worthy.

Hey, maybe we can make a reappearance. I sure hope so. Panthers, keep it up. You’re expanding our fan-base and gaining national coverage — again. 

Students, I urge you to loudly-and-proudly show your support for our hardworking athletic teams; I know it’s not all about winning (I’m positive they remain on top of their studies), but the more coverage and attention we get through athletics, the more people who have never heard of UNI see the wonderful gem we are and begin to wonder why they haven’t heard of us before.

And I know the credit doesn’t all go towards the players; the coaches are behind a lot of this, too. Coaches, you deserve just as much of the credit as your players do. 

Keep it up, Panthers. Your school, students and ever-growing fan-base is behind you, 110 percent.

– Amber Rouse, executive editor