Panthers fall just short to No. 10 Cowboys, 19-17

Parker+Keckeisen+continued+his+winning+ways+on+Saturday%2C+picking+up+a+victory+in+No.+15+UNIs+19-17+loss+against+No.+10+Oklahoma+State.+

Courtesy

Parker Keckeisen continued his winning ways on Saturday, picking up a victory in No. 15 UNI’s 19-17 loss against No. 10 Oklahoma State.

BEN LAHART, Sports Writer

The 15th-ranked UNI wrestling team hosted the first of three straight home duals against 10th-ranked conference rival Oklahoma State on Saturday night in the McLeod Center. The Panthers wound up just short of the Cowboys with a final score of 19-17.

UNI started off well with a 14-5 victory from Kyle Gollhofer. The redshirt sophomore won the 125 pound match in the third period. In the 133 pound class, 11th-ranked Kyle Biscoglia lost to top-ranked Daton Fix 8-1. Sophomore Cael Happel also suffered a loss in the 141 pound class 15-7, via major decision, to put the Cowboys up 7-4.

The Panthers started to turn the meet around with back-to-back victories. At 149 pounds, redshirt junior Colin Realbuto upset No. 23 Victor Voinovich in a 5-4 decision win. No. 12 Derek Holschlag followed with another upset victory over No. 10 Kaden Gfeller. This match came down to an overtime takedown to allow Holschlag to win 6-4. UNI led 10-7 at the intermission.

After the intermission, 12th ranked Austin Yant suffered his first defeat of the season in the 165 pound class via pin in the third period. Yant was pinned with just 36 seconds left in the final period to award Oklahoma State six points and give them a 13-10 lead. UNI lost a second match in a row in the 174 pound class as redshirt sophomore Lance Runyon fell to No. 6 Dustin Plotts.

The Panthers were able to get back on track with a 20-6 victory by top-ranked Parker Keckeisen at 184 pounds. UNI’s Wyatt Voelker lost a close match in the 197 pound class in his collegiate debut. No. 11 Tyrell Gordon closed the night off with a victory over No. 21 Konnor Douchet in the 285 class. Gordon won 3-2 via decision leaving UNI just short of victory with a final score of 19-17.

Two exhibition matches were also held as Connor Thorpe won 4-3 at 141 pounds, while Evan Yant was pinned shortly into the second period, wrestling at 165 pounds.

UNI fell to 5-4 on the season and 2-2 in conference action after this loss. The Panthers will look to get back on track as their next two matches will come in the McLeod Center. Sunday, Jan. 29 at 2 p.m. UNI takes on Oklahoma, followed by a contest Friday, Feb. 3 at 7 p.m. against Cal Baptist.