UNI competes at Wartburg Indoor Select

UNI+competed+at+the+Wartburg+Indoor+Select+this+past+weekend%2C+hosted+by+Wartburg.+

STEPHEN STARK

UNI competed at the Wartburg Indoor Select this past weekend, hosted by Wartburg.

BEN LAHART, Sports Writer

Members of the men’s and women’s track and field teams made the 20 minute drive north to Waverly for the Wartburg Indoor Select on Feb. 3 and Feb. 4 as they enter the second half of their season.

The UNI women started off well with Libby Wedewer placing first in the 60-meter dash in a career-best time of 7.68 seconds. The Panthers had three more women place in the top eight and score points in this event.

UNI also scored points in the 200-meters with Lindsey Sires placing sixth. Liv Freund placed seventh in the 800-meter run with a career best 2:25.46. Three women placed in the mile run, led by Mia Rampton with a time of 5:13.53. 

In the field events, Allison Flansha placed third in the shot put with a throw of 41 feet, 8 inches coming on her second throw. Amanda Lietz placed fifth in the pentathlon with 3003 points to close out the scoring for the women. They placed fifth out of eight teams with 42 points while Wartburg took home the team victory with 223 points.

On the men’s side, Brady Griebel placed fifth in the mile run in 4:24.20 to score four points for the panthers. Freshman Colin Buch placed sixth in the men’s heptathlon with a score of 3776. The men only scored seven points as a team placing them seventh out of seven teams at the meet. Wartburg swept the team trophies as they also won the men’s meet with 202 points.

The UNI track teams also competed at Iowa State on Feb. 4 and ran some career best times. The Panthers only have two more indoor meets before the postseason begins. The next meet will be Feb. 10 and Feb. 11 at the SDSU Indoor Classic in Brookings, S.D. followed by the Iowa Open on Feb. 17.