NISG January updates

NI Staff, NI Editors

NISG January updates

Between chatting with Iowa’s legislators under the golden dome of the state capitol to rocking out with karaoke during NISG Engagement Week, your Northern Iowa Student Government (NISG) representatives have stayed busy during the month of January and beginning of February. Read on below to see everything NISG has been up to.

NISG Engagement Week

For the first time in three years, NISG hosted an Engagement Week aimed to connect with the UNI campus community, and spread awareness about NISG elections. 

Students were able to chat with NISG members, learn more about Green Dot initiative, the Textbook Equity Initiative, the Legislative Liaison Team and Gender and Sexuality Services while playing UNI Trivia, eat some Chad’s Pizza and win some great prizes from local businesses.

NISG would like to thank the Campus Activities Board along with Square One Vintage, Raygun, Mohair Pear, Big Acai, the UNI Bookstore, Driftless Style, George’s Local and Vinyl Cup Records for making the launch event possible.

NISG’s Open House Event was also successful, with UNI administrators like President Nook and community officials like Mayor Rob Green attending to chat with students. 

NISG’s De-Stress Event in collaboration with Student Wellness Services also saw great engagement, and a Self Defense and Safety Class led by Senei Mustafić helped students learn introductory self defense skills. 

Campaigns kicking off

Campaign season has officially begun! Students running for senate, president and vice president have started to collect signatures to get on the ballot.

Join NISG for the Presidential Debates Feb. 15 in the Maucker Union Ballrooms, and be sure to vote myUniverse from 6 a.m. Feb. 21 to 6 p.m. Feb. 22. Click the Life@UNI tab and go to the Voting and Surveys box to cast your vote. 

Legislative Liaison Team (LLT)

UNI’s LLT led by the Director of Governmental Relations, Noah Hackbart, kicked off the legislative session in Des Moines during their first visit at the capitol in January. LLT seeks to advocate for UNI’s campus community on the state level. UNI Day at the Capitol, an all day event aimed to connect UNI with legislators, is set to take place Feb. 14.