A brief letter in preparation for my week

Dear Library, 

I’m going to be around a lot this week. You’re probably going to get sick of me, and just a heads up, I probably won’t look that great. I won’t be getting a lot of sleep, so I’m sorry if I take a lot of naps on your desks. I promise you’re not boring me. Thanks for having so many couches and chairs, by the way. They are perfect sleeping spots, and your long hallways are great walking places to interrupt the monotony of writing. 

Dear Coffee,

You are my one true love. Food of the gods. My life’s blood. The reason I get up in the morning. You always have my back. Personally, I think you’re the best at Cup of Joe and Sidecar, but Starbucks has been treating you pretty well lately. 

Thanks, coffee, for being so versatile. Sometimes I need you unadorned and sweetly black, sometimes I need you with cream and sugar. Sometimes you don’t even taste like yourself, slathered in whipped cream and syrup, but you taste amazing in any form.

Dear Macbook Pro,

Both of us aren’t going to get a lot of sleep this week, but please, please, please, do not crash on me, even if I have to every couple of days. I’m counting on you to keep my papers and projects safe. Thanks for keeping track of my music and keeping me distracted when I need a break. You are the best.

Dear Bed,

I will miss you so much. If I had my way, I would never leave you. You are the reason (along with the sun) I hate mornings so much. You are just too comfortable. I envy my cat getting to spend so much time with you. After finals, I promise we will spend a lot of time together. How about a movie date?

Dear Netflix,

I’m not abandoning you. You are just too darn distracting. 

Dear People I Encounter This Week,

I should wear it every day as a warning, but in case I forget to wear my “Speak Softly and Slowly to the Person Wearing This” shirt, please speak softly and slowly. I’m running on three hours of sleep and three times as many cups of coffee. I have no idea what a proper meal looks like anymore, and don’t even ask me when I last brushed my hair. I have lost my ability to focus, so don’t be offended if I lose track of our conversation, and if I stare blankly at the coffee menu, just assume the worst and give me two double shots of espresso.

Don’t ask me how my week is going (my eye will probably start twitching), and don’t under any circumstance ask me what I’m doing after graduation (I will probably start hyperventilating).

Thanks for being so accommodating and lovely in advance! 

P.S. If you see me on campus, remember the “Speak Softly and Slowly” rule. I have been known to jump and spill my coffee when caught unawares, which means you now have a sleep-deprived, non caffeinated English major on your hands. 

Good luck with that!