Letter to the Editor

I’m going to miss you, UNI. I’m going to miss this campus, our professors, our students, our classes, our paper. It has been an amazaing three years here and it’s definitely a bittersweet farewell.

I’m graduating after five years of college and I hear I’m supposed to “adult” soon.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m definitely excited to be done with my college career, but parting with a piece of my life that has been fundamental in my social, intellectual and overall development is kind of scary. 

Coming to UNI after attending a community college, I never would have imagined how involved I would become in the Northern Iowan, but here I am, at the end of my editorship, ready to take on the next challenge. 

But first, a few thank you’s. To the Northern Iowan Board of Directors: Thank you for selecting me to serve this campus as the executive editor. I’ve learned so much on leading, on running a newspaper, on editing and on furthering the Northern Iowan.  

This has been one of the most difficult jobs I have ever had and I wouldn’t take it back for anything. 

I feel confident that I can apply what I’ve learned here to my future career. I am so grateful for the opportunity you have given me. 

To my staff, old and new: You have been so supportive and dependable this past year, I don’t know how I will ever be able to thank you enough. Editors, writers and columnists alike, you have produced amazing content and have been an amazing team, I don’t know where we would be without you. 

Together, we have been able to publish a great variety of articles, covering things from Northern Iowa Student Government elections, to student support movements, to diversity issues on campus. I’m so proud of you all for stepping up and taking on the challenges you did; it has helped us all grow. 

To the UNI campus: thank you for supporting the Northern Iowan. We wouldn’t be able to do what we do without your help, support or feedback. I hope the campus continues to work with the NI to build upon its legacy and create a campus that understands the importance of student news and student reporting. It’s a dying art, but keep it alive as long as you can.

To the NI’s advisor: Laura, I owe you so much. Not only as a mentee, but also as a reporter. Your knowledge and practice of reporting is so profound and so helpful. You have taught me so much on how to be a better editor, how to be a better reporter and how to be a better leader.

I will miss your anecdotes and your endless supply of advice. I hope Nick will learn as much (or more) as I have from you and I can’t wait to see how the NI continues to grow under your advisor viser. 

To a special professor: Nikki, you have taught me so much on how to be a better person, how to be a positive person and, more importantly, how to cope with things in the past. I never thought I would connect so well with a professor on campus, let alone that I would trust a professor with so much of my life’s story.

You’ve given me hope, resiliency and the push I needed to move on. Thank you. I will never forget what you’ve done for me. 

Second, I wish next year’s crew a hearty good luck. Yes, it will be hard, but it will be worth it. You will take away so much from working at the NI and every last bit is worth it. Just keep pushing through, keep challenging writers, keep challenging yourself. You’ll make mistakes and that’s OK; that’s why you’re here, to make mistakes, learn from them and move forward. 

I’m so proud of you all and I’ll be keeping tabs on the NI as the next year progresses. Don’t forget to have fun, though!

Third, although this is the end of my college career, I will forever be a Proud Panther. The UNI community is such a wonderful and impactful place to be. I’m glad I chose you, UNI.

Lastly, the scary part: what am I going to do with my life? Uhhh… ask me again at the end of my summer. I’ve accepted a position as a whitewater raft guide trainee in Colorado. Whitewater sports are a passion of mine and I look forward to what the summer has in store for me, and I have yet to think about anything beyond Labor Day; to me, that’s exciting and frightening at the same time. 

So, here’s to a new academic year, new staff and new experiences: good luck, have fun and keep on keepin’ on.

-Amber Rouse, executive editor

View Comments (1)