UNI celebrates LGBTQ+ community with Pride Week

MALLORY SCHMITZ

As part of the Pride Week celebrations, Maucker Union displayed various pride flags in the coffeehouse area.

CAROLINE CHRISTENSEN, Executive Editor

UNI Proud in collaboration with Gender & Sexuality Services (GSS)  hosted a variety of events celebrating Pride Week from April 3 – 8. 

UNI student Caleb Gehle views Pride Week as a chance to acknowledge and learn about the LGBTQ+ community.

“I think Pride Week showcases a lot of diversity for a historically marginalized group on campus. It’s just a fun way to get involved with something different that you might not be used to.”

On Monday and Tuesday, GSS, ThreeHouse and the Cedar Valley LGBTQ+ Coalition set up a “Pride Closet,” intended to provide students with free gender affirming clothing.  

The Out & Ally Network hosted a virtual coffee hour Tuesday, and a QTBIPoC Affinity Group met to provide a space for queer and trans Black, indigenous, people of color and allies.

The Out & Ally Network also hosted a “Pride Climb” at the Wellness Recreation Center, and a “Gayme Time” which allowed students to destress and relax through board games.

A Queer Book Club convened on Thursday to discuss students’ favorite LGBTQ+ books and other recommendations, and guest speakers Stephanie Skora and Stefani Vargas lectured Friday in the Center for Multicultural Education about Stone identity, gender and sexuality. Additionally, the Office of International Engagement hosted a special Pride Week Coffee Hour Friday afternoon.

To round out the week, Dragaganza was hosted in collaboration with UNI Proud, GSS, Campus Activities Board (CAB) and Serv’d Events. Dragaganza was hosted by emcee Karma Kills with featured performers Trade and Noah Guy. Gehle participated in the drag show under the name, “Papa Wheelie.” All tips and funds raised were donated to One Iowa, an organization dedicated towards advancing, empowering, and improving the lives of LGBTQ+ Iowans. 

For more information about LGBTQ+ resources on UNI’s campus, visit lgbt.uni.edu.