Why should I attend a UNI sporting event?

NI ARCHIVES
Students enthusiastically pack the McLeod Center for a men’s basketball game.

As the campus begins to fill with new faces and for the 2023 school year there is a question that many new students may have: How do I get involved on campus? There are many ways to get involved on campus including clubs, organizations and extracurriculars alike but one of the greatest ways to become acquainted with UNI is to attend a UNI sporting event. How do I attend a sporting event and what do I do once I get there? That is a great question and it is my duty as the Northern Iowan’s Sports Editor to answer that question.

The first place to look this fall semester is the famous UNI-Dome. The UNI-Dome is one of the focal points of the university’s campus and often one of the very first things that people think about when they think about UNI. The stadium is well- known for hosting the Iowa High School Football State Tournament but that is not the main duty of this fabled building. Its primary purpose is to host games for one of the greatest college football teams in the state: The University of Northern Iowa Panthers.

Pullquote Photo

There are a lot of ways to get involved with sports as the semester commences. Every student gets free tickets to any home event as long as they have their Student ID with them.

— Caden Shea, Sports Editor

The UNI-Dome is specifically designed to make sure the fans of the Panthers are well represented every time they enter the stadium. The student section becomes a resounding rumble for the entire game as they watch the Panthers command the field. This season is the first with the shifting of the student section. The student section has been moved closer to the end zone in order to maximize the vivacity of the UNI students. This football season will definitely be one to check out no matter if you are a new student or returning Panther.

The football team isn’t the only team that will be must watch for this season. Students will be packing the McLeod center as the volleyball team takes the court for their 2023 season. The Panthers volleyball team is coming off of a terrific 2022 outing and will look to maintain that momentum as they begin this season. One of the main reasons for the team’s continued success is the roar of the crowd that rises when- ever the team is on the hard- wood. The energy at the UNI volleyball games is unlike any other volleyball games I have witnessed. The crowd loves to get behind their team and will them to a victory, especially over in-state rivals such as Drake. A UNI volleyball game is a must-attend for any fan of sports in the Cedar Valley.

Women’s soccer has amassed a huge following in the last couple of years. The Panthers have recently been playing in a new stadium on-campus after being off-campus for so long. The Panthers soccer team has been on a roll as they begin their fall season and one of the best ways to keep them on that roll is attending the games yourself. Bringing energy to the team will not only bring them joy, but bring you joy as well as you become more invested in the team. Another sport that will be happening over the beginning of the Fall season is Cross Country. While this sport isn’t always the most accessible to attend, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. The cross country team would love to have support as they race across golf courses around the country. The more people they have cheering for them, the more they will be motivated to finish with power.

There are a lot of ways to get involved with sports as the semester commences. Every student gets free tickets to any home event as long as they have their Student ID with them. That means there’s absolutely no excuse to not attend games and meets so that you can cheer on our student athletes as they represent our university.