Managing editor greets Panther community

STEPH STARK

Hey Panthers!

My name is Sophie, and I am the Managing Editor for the Northern Iowan for this school year. I want to welcome you all — new and returning students — to campus! I know that these first few days have been overwhelmingly hot, but knowing Iowa weather, that’s bound to change at any moment.

I’ve been happy to call UNI home for the past two years I’ve been here. I started my journey at UNI in 2021, and during my time here, I’ve made connections with people that will last long after I graduate. The first day away from home can be daunting — I was reluctant to talk to new people in my classes for weeks! I quickly realized that I was not alone in this feeling once I gathered up my courage to start a conversation with my peers. UNI has been such a welcoming environment for me, as I hope it will be for you.

I’m incredibly grateful to be working with the Northern Iowan in providing you all the best news possible. In this issue, my fellow staff members and I have prepared all sorts of resources for you, from frequently asked questions to activities to do around campus. For new students, the first week of college is always tough to navigate, so I hope that you will find many helpful things within this issue. Returning students, please help our new Panthers as they begin their journey at UNI. A simple smile and greeting can make someone’s day!

More than anything, the Northern Iowan team is determined to be a resource for you — and not just during this first week. We want to be able to help and support you all whenever possible. We want this paper to serve, reflect and celebrate all of you!

I wish you all the best of luck as these first few weeks go by — and stay hydrated during these next few days!

Go Cats!

Sophie Hoffmeier