UNI sweeps Valparaiso

Panther volleyball triumphs against the Beacons, 3-0
JORDAN JUNGE
The Panthers defeated the Beacons in straight sets.

On Friday, Sept. 22, the UNI volleyball team hosted Valparaiso for their first home conference game of the season. The Panthers came into this game with a total record of 8-6, and 2-0 in conference play. Valparaiso came in with a 10-6 record, and 2-1 in conference play. The Panthers looked to continue their good start to the conference schedule, and were able to do that with a 3-0 sweep of the Beacons. 

In the early going of the first set, the game was going back and forth, but the Beacons put together a big run in the middle of the set. When the Panthers got up 11-8, the Beacons put up a 7-1 run to grab a 15-12 lead. The game went back and forth for a little bit, but the Panthers went on a solid run to end the game. When the Beacons led the set 19-17, the Panthers went on an impressive 8-2 run that included seven kills to get the first set win.

The Panther volleyball team will play Evansville on Saturday, Oct. 6. (JORDAN JUNGE)

The second set was close just like the first, but the Panthers managed to get a few points ahead of the Beacons at 15-12 after they tallied three in a row. The Beacons hung around throughout the rest of the set, but the Panthers were able to maintain the lead. They picked up the win in the second set with a score of 25-20.

In the third set, the Panthers looked to send the Beacons back home with a sweep. They picked up the lead from the get-go, and were able to hold it throughout. They started up 4-1, and kept the lead at two to four points throughout the majority of the set. Late in the set, the Panthers only led by one at a score of 19-18, but they were able to hold off the Beacons in the end. They completed the sweep with the 25-21 victory.

The Panthers had three tough sets against the Beacons, but were able to pull it out each time. Layanna Green led the Panthers in kills with 14, Olivia Tjernagel had 9, and Emily Holterhaus had 8. Tayler Alden led the way in assists with 31. The Panthers moved to 9-6 with the win, and 3-0 in conference play.