UNI student body most diverse in 147-year history

NI ARCHIVES
A total of 1,214 students of color are enrolled at UNI this year, which is 13.5% of the total student population.

Diversity proves to be a strong priority for staff and students alike at the University of Northern Iowa. The 2023-2024 school year boasts its highest percentage of students of color in the school’s 147-year history. A total of 1,214 students of color are enrolled this year which is 13.5% of the total student population. This reflects the year’s total number of 9,021 enrolled students which is the highest increase in enrollment UNI has seen in over a decade.

“This has been a campus-wide effort to grow enrollment,” said UNI Senior Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Success, Kristin Woods, “We work with the community to recruit high school and transfer students through such means as TRIO programs and summer camps. Our faculty, staff and students work to build strong relationships with the community.” TRIOs are federal government programs dedicated to disadvantaged student outreach. One of the programs UNI works with is Upward Bound, which focuses on giving college grants to high school students from low-income families. Woods added, “We have seen growth in first generation college students and those with military backgrounds as well.”

“We are committed to reflect the diversity of the state of Iowa itself,” said Woods.

Christian Johnson, Director of Diversity for Northern Iowa Student Government, has seen first-hand what students can do to make UNI more inclusive.

Christian Johnson, the Director of Diversity for Northern Iowa Student Government, believes the student body will continue to become more diverse as long as UNI continues to provide resources and support. (COURTESY/NISG)

Johnson receives feedback on issues and initiatives that affect diversity on campus. He believes that the student body will continue to become more diverse as long as UNI keeps providing resources and benefits in the future. Johnson has seen NISG involved with textbook equity initiatives, which seek to provide affordable and free textbooks for students. He has used his position to advocate for mental health resources for minorities and athletes on campus.

“Our current Vice President, Liz Montalvo, is Hispanic and one of the pillars of their campaign was advocating for diversity on campus,” Johnson said.

“Nothing is perfect, but we are striving to be great,” Johnson added.

Johnson hopes the positive news brings more involvement in student government, believing that it’s important for students to have a say in campus issues. Johnson is a junior transfer student and has multiple family members who are UNI alumni, including his parents and uncle.

Chiquita Loveless, UNI Director of Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice said, “UNI has worked extremely hard to recruit students from near and far. This is a great accomplishment for the campus community and everyone who played a major part in telling our story and showing students they belong here at UNI, an institution that is worth attending.”

For anyone looking to get involved with issues of diversity on campus and to keep UNI a welcome place for past, present and future students, the Center for Multicultural Education continues to be a massive resource for student organizations and activities on campus. The CME also hosts events for the Cedar Valley community itself. For more information on the CME, please call 319-273-2250 or email [email protected]