Panthers stay perfect in MVC

JORDAN JUNGE
Olivia Tjernagel had a great game with an 11-kill, 10 dig double-double.

The Panthers remain undefeated in the Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) after a weekend win over the Bradley Braves. The Panthers came out hot in the first set starting off with a 4-0 run which included an ace by Kira Fallert in the opening stanza. They capitalized on the set with an incredible 15 kills, including three each from Fallert and Emily Holterhaus, causing some difficulties from the Braves which helped lead the Panthers to an impressive win of 25-9. 

The Braves came out hot in the second set, posing three blocks at the net after efforts to improve their defense. But it wouldn’t be enough as the Panthers continued to roll with their momentum from the first set, as UNI would continue with 16 terminations. Bradley was able to make their way within one point, making the score 16-15, but the Panthers went on to score five straight points thanks to kills from Kaylissa Arndorfer along with an ace from Layanna Green. The Panthers would hold off the Braves to take the second set 25-21.

The Braves took another early lead in the third set by taking the first three points of the set, but the Panthers would continue to roll on. In a back and forth set, UNI and Bradley continued to battle it out as the set would make its way to a 15-15 tie. Grace Mikota had an ace shortly after that would give the Panthers the lead, the first of the set for them. The Panthers would close out on a 10-4 run, despite attacking errors and a tough Bradle defense, to record 19 kills and win the third set 25-19. 

Olivia Tjernagel recorded 12 kills on the night while Fallert had 11 kills and 10 digs for a double-double. Holterhaus finished with 10 kills and Tayler Alden had 37 assists along with four kills. Erin Powers led the defense with a team-high 15 digs and tied a season high with four aces on the night. The Panthers look to keep the momentum going as they finish out the rest of the regular season and get ready for the MVC Tournament later this month.