BREAKING: Student arrested for theft from student org

MALLORY SCHMITZ
A UNI student was arrested Wednesday morning for allegedly using a student organization debit card for personal expenses.

A University of Northern Iowa student identified as 22-year-old Courtney Paige Jarrett has been arrested this morning for allegedly using a student organization’s debit card to make personal purchases.

Jarrett allegedly admitted to using the organization’s card 165 times to make $7,066 worth of personal purchases between July and September of this year. According to a report from the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, Jarrett allegedly made purchases at the UNI Bookstore, Whiskey Road, and used the card to buy Major League Baseball tickets and airline travel.

Although the student organization was not named in court documents, Jarrett was the Executive Director of UNI’s Dance Marathon, which raises money for the Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital. 

Court records indicate UNI police received a report about a student organization on Sept. 8. Investigators interviewed Jarrett about a week later.

Jarrett was arrested Wednesday morning on three counts of second degree theft and three counts of unauthorized use of a credit card. Both are class D felonies. She has been released from jail pending trial.

The Northern Iowan reached out to UNI’s Chief of Police Helen Haire for comment. She was unable to provide additional information due to the ongoing investigation with the County Attorney’s Office. The Director of University Relations, Pete Moris, also declined to comment.

The Northern Iowan also reached out to the executive members of Dance Marathon, and they declined to comment. However, Dance Marathon posted a statement on their official Instagram account which stated, “Dance Marathon is committed to providing hope, comfort, and support for families with children facing life-threatening injuries and illnesses. The families we support are at the forefront of our efforts and we will continue to positively impact their lives, nurture relationships, and fight for a brighter tomorrow through our work.”

The statement continued, “All donations received by UNI Dance Marathon have and will continue to be entirely donated to the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital. We are grateful for the ongoing support of our Miracle Families, dancers, student organization leaders, donors and sponsors. We remain committed to our mission and we will persevere as leaders for the future of the UNI Dance Marathon program.”

This is a developing situation, and the Northern Iowan will continue to update this story as it unfolds. 

This story was updated Thursday, Nov. 2 at 4:08 p.m.