The Interlude shall reign forever

COURTESY/FLICKR
Former First Lady Michelle Obama performs The Interlude in 2012.

Just when it seems as if the game has settled down, it happens. The feeling of opportunity washes over your body. The familiar techno music begins playing. Your arms start moving up and down like you are milking a giant cow. It’s Interlude time. 

The Interlude is a UNI tradition that began in 2010 and will continue to trek on at every UNI home game from now until forever. The dance may seem corny to some, but it feels like so much more than that. The Interlude is one of those college traditions that have stood the test of time. It has been mentioned in the same breath as the iconic Gator Chomp from the University of Florida or Jump Around performed by the Wisconsin Badgers. The Interlude is something that students can look forward to and be united through at sporting events.

The Interlude first began as a viral dance spawned by an idea that began in the minds of UNI students. What came after was a whirlwind that the campus of UNI had never seen before. The dance was everywhere. People all over the country were doing it. In 2012, the first lady of the United States, Michelle Obama, did it on stage with the creators of the dance while in Des Moines as a part of her Let’s Move! Initiative. The dance is a part of UNI history and helped push the university into the mainstream spotlight for a time. 

Yet another great part about this dance is the camaraderie that the students who take part in it have. There is just something about doing something stupid and silly with other people that creates a lasting bond between them. The dance is not just for students, however. At a recent football game people of all ages could be seen engaging in the tomfoolery that is The Interlude Dance. The dance is accessible for all kinds of people, enhancing the scope of people that it can reach. 

The Interlude allows people to forget about the score of the game, the tests they may have the next week or issues with roommates. When you do the Interlude Dance at a UNI sporting event you just have plain fun. The Interlude is a dance that unites Panthers of all ages on a weekly basis and should remain that way for the foreseeable future.