Panthers finish break on three-game win streak

UNI ATHLETICS
Maya McDermott led the team in points, including a 30-point game against Iowa State.

As UNI students traveled home for their winter break, the UNI women’s basketball team was hard at work, winning three of their last five games. Maya McDermott led the Panthers, averaging 18 points and 3.4 assists during the stretch. 

UNI opened the break with a tough non-conference bout at Iowa State. The Panthers came out strong as they traded buckets with the Cyclones, ending the first quarter tied at 16 points each. The two teams continued battling back and forth in the second quarter until Iowa State created a comfortable eight- point lead heading into the half. The Panthers continued to hang around to begin the third quarter, but their efforts were squandered when Iowa State ended the quarter on a 17-6 run, extending their lead to 17. UNI was never able to close the gap and lost 87-70. McDermott finished the game with 30 points, four rebounds, and four assists. 

Following the loss to Iowa State, the Panthers traveled to Springfield, Mo. to take on Missouri State in a conference game. UNI started off the first quarter looking poised on the road, leading 18-11. The second quarter was drastically different than the first, as the two teams stalled offensively. Despite the lack of offense in the quarter, UNI maintained their lead heading into halftime 26-22. In the third quarter the Panthers were able to get their offensive game back on track as they extended their lead 42-37. 

As the fourth quarter got underway, Missouri State’s defense stole the show and game from UNI, holding them to only 10 points in the quarter and narrowly defeating the Panthers 54-52. McDermott led the team with 19 points while Emerson Green added eight points and 10 rebounds. 

The Panthers returned home after the loss to Missouri State looking to bounce back against Evansville. UNI came out on fire, scoring 25 first quarter points, and commanded a dominant 14-point lead at the end of the first. The Panther’s defensive game shined in the second quarter, holding Evansville to only five points. UNI continued their impressive performance en route to an 82-52 victory, snapping a nine-game losing streak. Kayba Laube led the Panthers in scoring with 15 points, while freshman Katy Reyerson led the team with 10 rebounds. 

Fresh off of their blow-out victory, the Panthers sought to continue their success against Indiana State at home. Both offenses started out hot as the two teams went back and forth. ending the first quarter tied at 24. In the second quarter, UNI was able to take a narrow lead, heading into halftime 44-42. The Panthers continued to extend their lead the remainder of the game, winning 85-79. McDermott led the Panthers in scoring with 20 points and four assists, while Green added 18 points and six rebounds. Laube finished with 16 points as well. 

After the two home games, UNI was back on the road set to take on UIC in Chicago, Ill. Unfortunately mother nature had other plans and the game was postponed due to inclement weather.

Following their overnight stay in Chicago, the Panthers were back on the road to Indiana to take on Valparaiso. 

The Panthers once again came out firing on all cylinders, leading 20-13 after the first quarter. The second quarter continued in the same fashion as UNI led at the half 38-20. The Panthers finished out the game with solid play on both ends of the court, winning 76-52. Grace Boffeli, in her first game back from injury, led UNI in scoring with 16 points and seven rebounds. Green added 15 points and five rebounds while McDermott contributed 11 points, five assists and three steals. 

The women’s team is set to be back in action on Friday, Jan. 19 at home against Murray State. The tip off is scheduled for 6 p.m. and can be streamed on ESPN+ and listened to via the Panther Sports Radio Network.